(The quickest way to register)

Check out our new Mobile App

Forum

1. User picture
    • Anonymous on Wed 23 Mar 2011
    • 09:00:32 AM UTC

Red Ratings for Forum Spamming!!!

Please rate them red for spamming Wot forum...
    tnzil.com
    aqartd.com
    tamo7.com

Ref::: http://www.mywot.com/forum/10620-?comment=72024...
    Reported to Admins!!!
    User got banned: : http://www.mywot.com/user/2262530

Comments:

1. User picture
    • Jazspeak on Wed 23 Mar 2011
    • 09:38:22 AM UTC

RE: Red Ratings for Forum Spamming!!!

I don't think that it is right to rate sites in that way. Forum spamming gets users banned and that should be enough.

Sites should be rated on content and any ratings for spamming should be based on the correct interpretation of spamming being the repeated sending of unsolicited e-mail advertising.

~Music is not just for the Masses~

• User picture
      • siblingshot on Wed 23 Mar 2011
      • 09:45:59 AM UTC

Agreed.

Sites ought to be rated on their merits.

If a user is banned as a result of breach of guidelines, it is punishment enough that his / her 'voice' is silenced on the forum; that they have no recourse to raise issues or objections, or to contribute in any meaningful fashion.

• User picture
        • @Anonymouse (not verified) on Wed 23 Mar 2011
        • 09:55:40 AM UTC

If a user is banned as a result of breach of guidelines, it is punishment enough that his / her 'voice' is silenced on the forum;
        Is that ok that peoples try these seo techniques after knowing all these facts...
        that the bots mostly use in these techniques spam forums...

• User picture
          • siblingshot on Wed 23 Mar 2011
          • 10:14:44 PM UTC

Is that ok that peoples try these seo techniques after knowing all these facts...
          that the bots mostly use in these techniques spam forums..."

No. As I stated, the site ought to be rated on its merits.

If the site is demonstrably instrumental or complicit in spamming, then it should be rated accordingly. If the user is demonstrably instrumental or complicit in spamming, then he / she shall be dealt with accordingly by WOT administration.

• User picture
      • 09:53:19 AM UTC

I don't think that it is right to rate sites in that way. Forum spamming gets users banned and that should be enough.
      Here peoples spam and we rate their website red for forum spamming isn't it...

Sites should be rated on content and any ratings for spamming should be based on the correct interpretation of spamming
      I know that we rate the website based on their content but some morons try to use marketing bots which usually post their articles and other stuff here and we rate them for forum spamming as under category of SPAM...
      Many of the peoples use some Black Hat SEO technique which nothing help in good but creates a spamming reputation for website...
      I hope you can see that post posted by one moron which is recently deleted by SAMI tehn it would help you more in decision...

• User picture
        • Jazspeak on Wed 23 Mar 2011
        • 09:58:29 AM UTC

"we rate their website red for forum spamming"

You might rates sites in that way but I do not.

"some morons try to use marketing bots which usually post their articles and other stuff here"

What evidence do you have for making that claim? I have never seen anything on this forum that looks like it came from "marketing bots", although I have seen plenty of human-generated promotional postings.

~Music is not just for the Masses~

• User picture
      • samusaran253 (not verified) on Wed 20 Apr 2011
      • 05:34:24 AM UTC

Agreed. A friend of mine used to advertise his site on another forum sometimes. Though I think he generally asked for permission first. I think sites should be rated on their content, not on how they choose to market their site.

• User picture
        • @Anonymouse (not verified) on Wed 20 Apr 2011
        • 08:19:30 AM UTC

I think sites should be rated on their content, not on how they choose to market their site.
        Obviously it can be rated if they sent spam and use unethical methods to promote their website and if you don't think so then you can rate them green.

2. User picture
    • Tom McClelland on Wed 23 Mar 2011
    • 10:31:55 AM UTC

Your links do not lead to any evidence that I could use to red-rate a site. So basically you're just asking members to do it on your personal say so.

From the rating guidelines:

"Rate only those sites you know"

That guideline is an important protection (if observed) against herd mentality.

Remember WoT Guideline: "Only rate sites that you know"

• User picture
      • 10:36:26 AM UTC

@tom
      forum spamming has been performed and you can verify by admins about this website and the thread i have refer which is deleted ...

against herd mentality.
      And i think you forget to read whole forum guidelines...
      See Para
      5. Be respectful of others

• User picture
        • 10:57:56 AM UTC

I think that you're saying that the "Rate only sites which you know" guideline can be safely ignored if I can verify that someone did something naughty here with the forum admins? Are the forum admins really happy that sites should be red-rated on their personal say so? Perhaps they should comment on that. If it is really the case then why bother to ask members to red-rate the site at all? Cut out the middle-man and let the admins just force-mark the site to zero on every count.

If sites are to be mass-red-rated because the forum here gets spammed it seems to me we're placing a powerful commercial weapon in the hands of the unscrupulous. Perhaps the forum admins here have superb tools for ascertaining guilt without doubt. Much better than for example the tools used by hpHosts or Spamcop, both of which already fill that niche.

If you find phrases like "herd mentality", which is a mild and commonly used description of a common form of human behaviour "disrespectful" then I apologise for that, and I'll try to approve my manners in future. Perhaps most forums that I post on don't have such high standards as here.

3. User picture
    • 11:16:35 AM UTC

I think that you're saying that the "Rate only sites which you know" guideline can be safely ignored if I can verify that someone did something naughty here with the forum admins?
    No who asked you to ignore forum guidelines...
    The websites i have reported here i got through a post which contains nothing than a marketing article..

Are the forum admins really happy that sites should be red-rated on their personal say so?
    Again admins haven't ask me to post this thread and nor they will happy with any red/green rating...

If sites are to be mass-red-rated
    I don't have any MRT and i can't have bcoz its available for only Selected Platinum Member...

Perhaps the forum admins here have superb tools for ascertaining guilt without doubt.
    And what kind of tool you are refering for???

Much better than for example the tools used by hpHosts or Spamcop, both of which already fill that niche.
    You don't know than i would like to explain you that Hphosts file is very trusted source bcoz its human operated and all website that are listed there are completely verified..

Perhaps most forums that I post on don't have such high standards as here.
    At least i never use any offensive or any commonly used language for anyone here and not expect the same for me..
    But its my personal opinion and you don't think too much about it...

• User picture
      • 11:54:58 AM UTC

@anonymouse,

I think we're talking past each other, rather than to each other. Doubtless you feel that your responses in the post above are a counterpoint to my argument, but I don't find them responsive to what I was saying at all. It is as if you've picked up on particular words I've used but not on the actual argument that I'm making. Maybe I'm expressing myself poorly in which case I apologise, or perhaps there is a language or cultural barrier. I'm not sure. Evidently I'm not making the point that I'm making clear to you. We aren't communicating, so I'm going to stop trying, and leave you with the last word on the subject (above). Others can read our points and decide which of us to agree with, as ever in all online media.

4. User picture
    • @Anonymouse (not verified) on Thu 24 Mar 2011
    • 04:29:32 AM UTC

One more forum spamming
    For those who needs evidences http://www.mywot.com/forum/10642-new-ecommerce-...
    Cached http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?sourc...

User http://www.mywot.com/user/2268948

5. User picture
    • alphacentauri on Fri 25 Mar 2011
    • 06:07:46 AM UTC

If a user starts a single thread about his own website, lists what he considers are its good points, and asks us to rate the site, it might be spamming, or it might be someone not understanding what criteria we use to judge. It's not as clear cut as hijacking a thread, starting multiple threads, or posting inane comments with a link to an unrelated website just to try to boost search engine ranking.

There are also different standards of courtesy in some countries: Someone from China might feel complimented that a business owner makes the effort to contact him to try to get him as a customer, whereas we feel that even if only legitimate businesses did so the volume of such contacts would be too much.

As far as HPhosts, it is not that reliable -- Steven Burn posted a blog entry asking people not to use the list as an absolute authority, because there are older entries that are not well-substantiated. Some very safe sites were on the list, and unfortunately, some people relied on the HPHosts blacklist to post uneditable reviews on SiteAdvisor that are sitting there embarrassing them to this day.

vevocart.com itself seems a case in point. HPHosts lists it as phish, yet it is clearly owned by Vevosystems.com, a five-year old domain that is not blacklisted by HPhosts. As there is a link to vevocart.com from vevosystems.com's own website, what is it supposed to be spoofing?

Yes, WOT has a wiki. Check there first for fast answers to many questions like "Why is my site rated red, and how do I fix that?"

• User picture
      • 05:43:10 AM UTC

@AC
      I know it well but i have rated only for spamming here i have posted cached page of that link ...
      Did i got something wrong about this ...Please let me know what you think ...

• User picture
        • Tom McClelland on Thu 24 Mar 2011
        • 07:37:29 AM UTC

I've taken a look round the site.

The hpHosts rating, in my opinion, is pretty clearly a false accusation (a term that I prefer greatly to the weasel words "false positive", which imply that the false accusation is an "Act of God" that the accuser has no control over)

I can see nothing wrong there. The site itself looks solid and reputable and well designed, and I haven't received any spam from the site. So I've rated it accordingly.

• User picture
          • 07:47:03 AM UTC

As you can see the listing of hphosts is not older ...and i have again only rated for spamming here...
          I have PM to steven about this situation...

• User picture
            • 08:08:43 AM UTC

Steven has made it very clear, several times, that hpHosts is one opinion only, and should not be relied upon as an authority that trumps people's own judgement about a site. I know this, to my own sure and certain personal knowledge, because my own site was recently listed for phishing by hpHosts in error (there was no evidence to back up the accusation, it was a simple mistake), and Steven has apologised to me for that. He does not want other people rating sites based on his lists. Unfortunately the evidence is that some prominent members here, at least, ignore Steve's wishes in that regard.

As for the spamming I'm unconvinced. That message could equally well be someone who wants rating and doesn't understand how this site works, or someone who misunderstood the entire purpose of this site, or a competitor who wants to damage that site by attracting lots of red ratings from here, or likewise a disaffected employee who wants to damage that site. I don't see evidence that the site habitually bombards the internet at random with spam. When I get some spam from that site myself I would re-rate accordingly.

• User picture
              • 08:20:52 AM UTC

I don't see evidence that the site habitually bombards the internet at random with spam.
              And i would like to know what a forum spamming in your terms...

a competitor who wants to damage that site by attracting lots of red ratings from here, or likewise a disaffected employee who wants to damage that site.,/em>
              Yes both cases may be true or this could be done a SEO executive also...It can't be judge at this moment...and furthermore if owner feels that these ratings are in appropriate then can ask for us to re evaluate their website ...
              We always ready to help everyone...

• User picture
                • 08:37:47 AM UTC

That message may be a forum spamming, or it may be something else, as I've already indicated. By all means rate the site yourself based on your own assessment.

But urging other members to do the same thing is not responsible behaviour, I think. That site is the livelihood of its owners and employees. If they're spamming all over the internet then doubtless they will attract an appropriate number of red ratings from WoT members who receive those spams and I would be the first person to applaud such ratings. I hate receiving spam too. But to punish them massively disproportionately for one possible spam just because it happened here is not fair. Such actions make this forum far too powerful. Witness for the prosecution, prosecutor , judge, jury, and executioner all rolled into one.

That's just my opinion. I'm done on this particular one now so if you respond you'll have the last word. You aren't going to persuade me, and I'm not going to persuade you. Others can form their own opinion of who is right. I would be interested, however, in what the WoT admins think about this issue. I'm slightly surprised that they've remained silent on this thread because I think this issue goes to the heart of what judgements members should be encouraged to make when they rate a site.

• User picture
                  • alphacentauri on Thu 24 Mar 2011
                  • 12:20:19 PM UTC

"But to punish them massively disproportionately for one possible spam just because it happened here is not fair. Such actions make this forum far too powerful. Witness for the prosecution, prosecutor , judge, jury, and executioner all rolled into one."

Echo. If they're spam bots, you'll find lots of evidence on other forums, too.

Yes, WOT has a wiki. Check there first for fast answers to many questions like "Why is my site rated red, and how do I fix that?"

• User picture
                    • c۞g on Fri 25 Mar 2011
                    • 12:10:08 PM UTC

RE: evidence

I usually check 2 sites before rating:
                    boardreader.com
                    backlinkwatch.com

it appears there's sufficient evidence that this site / shopping cart software is linked from many different blogs / forums as mere advertisements.

∞ Opto, ergo sum _https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_You_and_I

6. User picture
    • BobJam (not verified) on Thu 24 Mar 2011
    • 06:25:33 PM UTC

"Punishment" and Forum Spamming.

This "punish" word has been flying around here, and I'm not sure that's the message we want to convey to site owners.

I mean, really, we're not here to "punish" as much as we're here to help BOTH users AND site owners. To "punish" makes it sound indeed like we're "judge, jury, and executioner" and our main task is to take site owners out to the woodshed and give them a whuppin'.

Granted, when we find something that needs remedied and remains untouched, we generally come down hard, and that is appropriate.

But our main focus in rating is to render an opinion on whether or not we TRUST a site.

If we don't trust a site, that may be viewed as a "punishment', but I don't think many, if any at all, seasoned raters come out of the gate with "punishment" in mind. Some raters DO however, and that's why I think you see those accusations of "witch hunt", as if we're some kind of 21st century Salem trial.

Plus, I think there's wayyyyyy too much emphasis on scorecard spamming . . . though I wouldn't deny that it DOES happen.

Nevertheless, most of the time it turns out to be a novice site owner who doesn't know how things work on scorecards, and makes an honest mistake.

There was one thread I saw recently where a site owner seemed to be bending over backwards to accommodate some who kept telling him he was doing it "wrong" and insisted he was spamming.

Last I saw, the guy was asking if he adhered to their "rules", as if these people were indeed "judge, jury, and executioner".

Some people here have site owners so intimidated that it's like the site owner is saying "Tell me how high you want me to jump, and I'll do it." No wonder we get accused of being on a "power trip".

7. User picture
    • MysteryFCM on Thu 24 Mar 2011
    • 11:06:46 PM UTC

Ref: http://www.mywot.com/forum/10642-new-ecommerce-sof...

This was clearly spam, and reported to MyWot as such.

vevocart.com has been removed from hpHosts, but was added due to the spam (evidently made an error when assigning its classification though as it was meant to receive the GRM classification not the PSH classification).

Regards Steven Burn I.T. Mate / hpHosts it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

8. User picture
    • alphacentauri on Fri 25 Mar 2011
    • 06:22:11 AM UTC

Well, I did some searching to assure myself we weren't crushing some naif who thought he was giving a good pitch for his site's WOT rating. By looking up that username "minery" and the term "profile," I did indeed find forum spam on other sites:

merhabaforums.com/news-nouvelles-f11/new-ecommerce-software-release-t13750.html
    medost.com/forum/marketplace/706-new-ecommerce-software-release.html
    forum.webdistortion.com/showthread.php?570-New-eCommerce-software-release&p=975
    pinoydeal.formyjob.net/search?search_author=minery
    plajja.forumotions.com/t293-vevocart-43-is-released

and so on. They aren't hard to find. They are clearly forum spam -- he has not contributed anything to the forums other than posts promoting his own business.

So, red from me, too.