Forum

1. User picture
    • karenwhite on Tue 05 Jul 2011
    • 10:18:29 AM UTC

whitesmoke.com

Site URL: http://whitesmoke.com
    Scorecard: View scorecard

Introduction:
    WhiteSmoke is a world-leading company in the field of English writing and translation technologies with products that are aimed at enhancing, editing and correcting English texts.
    Our products are sold in over 70 countries worldwide and our website is Trust-E approved.

We would like our site re-evaluated as we believe that the current evaluation is out-of-date and incorrect.

Has privacy policy?
    Owner said Yes

Has a way for users to contact site owners?
    Owner said Yes

Whois Information:
    http://whois.domaintools.com/whitesmoke.com

Disclaimer:
    This post was generated automatically. All information is as entered by the site owner.

Comments:

1. User picture
    • BobJam (not verified) on Tue 05 Jul 2011
    • 11:17:51 AM UTC

RE: whitesmoke.com

http://www.mywot.com/forum/10676-white-smoke-wr...

2. User picture
    • karenwhite on Tue 05 Jul 2011
    • 01:27:34 PM UTC

I understand their frustration but they are judging a respected company based on what they read online. We are Trust-E approved which is the highest security approval available today.
    Antivirus companies have detected us in the past but those were false positives on the antivirus companies' side which were corrected immediately.
    We do NOT spam and comply by all American SPAM laws and have an unsubscribe option from both our emails and our popups.

The software is installed with an uninstall feature to allow for easy removal and we have 24 hour support.

In addition, our website is completely safe according to Virus Total.http://www.virustotal.com/url-scan/report.html?id=12ae545a8948922222ed998cb487a67e-1309864464

This site (MyWot) is simply harmful to our company's reputation as it allows our competitors to bash us by adding a massive number of ratings and comments.
    We would like an honest, CURRENT, valuation of our site.
    Thank you.

3. User picture
    • Scientific Frontline (not verified) on Wed 06 Jul 2011
    • 12:07:29 AM UTC

You still don't get it do you.

Many WoT members are reporting what source indicate.
    Such as several Anti-Virus programs.
    My av says issues, and you want me to ignore this?
    No I don't think so!
    Go get the issues resolved.
    Then go talk to the AV makers about their reports. (which of course they are all wrong)

Once you can prove you're clean, then ask for a review. (or you can continue to get people that are going to get the same results and rate you red)

Might be easier to just shoot yourself in the foot now and get it over with.

4. User picture
    • leofelix on Wed 06 Jul 2011
    • 12:48:35 AM UTC

@ karenwhite
    mind explain this?

http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresult/df5d65018...
    Filename: WhiteSmokeWriterGeo9221_en.exe
    Scan finished. 6 out of 20 scanners reported malware.
    Scan taken on: Wed 6 Jul 2011 00:08:32 (CET)

Avira: ADWARE/Adware.Gen
    etc etc etc
    Thanks

Festina lente

5. User picture
    • BobJam (not verified) on Wed 06 Jul 2011
    • 03:54:08 AM UTC

Originally posted by: leofelix
    @ karenwhite
    mind explain this?

etc etc etc
    Thanks

Would definitely be interested to see the explanation for this one!

6. User picture
    • alphacentauri on Wed 06 Jul 2011
    • 04:21:34 AM UTC

I didn't know Trust-E evaluated software. I thought they only looked at the website itself.

I'm not a malware researcher, so I can't evaluate whether they are false positives or not. You have to get the AV companies to address it before members of the unwashed masses like me can say it's safe.

But there are many shades of "bad" when it comes to software. When your site tells me it will "work from any text application and be fully integrated with Microsoft Outlook to automatically check my emails" and will that my computer will be "directly connected to the WhiteSmoke servers, allowing your software to improve as we update our technology," what you're saying is that your software doesn't work on my computer; it transmits my writing to your server for translation, maybe without checking with me first. That's a major privacy issue. It may be cloud computing to you, but it's spyware to me. That's enough to get AV/antispyware programs to consider it a threat.

In addition, you aren't forthright about your location. 501 Silverside Rd, Suite 105, Wilmington Delaware is a mail forwarding service. It is used by companies that want to give the impression that they are located in the US when they are located somewhere else they'd rather not admit to. The company that runs it isn't particular who they deal with, so it's been associated with scammers. That doesn't help your credibility. Just give your real address. We aren't all Americans here. We can handle it.

Yes, WOT has a wiki. Check there first for fast answers to many questions like "Why is my site rated red, and how do I fix that?"

7. User picture
    • 05:11:32 AM UTC

Additional information, from your affiliate program terms and conditions:

The following additional program-specific terms shall apply to any promotional programs set forth below:

1. Email Campaigns. For all email campaigns, Affiliate must download the "Suppression List" from the Offers section of WhiteSmoke Software. Affiliate shall filter its email list by removing any entries appearing on the Suppression List and will only send emails to the remaining addresses on its email list. WhiteSmoke Software will provide an opt-out method in all Links, however, if any opt-out requests come directly to Affiliate, Affiliate shall immediately forward them to WhiteSmoke Software at zach@whitesmoke.com. Affiliate's emails containing the Links may not include any content other than the Links, except as required by applicable law.
    1.Affiliate agrees that failure to download the Suppression List and remove all emails from the database before mailing may result in Commission withholdings, removal or suspension from all or part of the Affiliate Program, possible legal action and any other rights or remedies available to WhiteSmoke Software pursuant to this Agreement or otherwise. Affiliate further agrees that it will not mail or market to any suppression files generated through the WhiteSmoke Software network, and that doing so may result in Commission withholdings, removal or suspension from the Affiliate Program, possible legal action and any other rights or remedies available to WhiteSmoke Software pursuant to this Agreement or otherwise.
    2. Advertising Campaigns. No Links can appear to be associated with or be positioned on chat rooms or bulletin boards unless otherwise agreed by WhiteSmoke Software in writing. Any pop-ups/unders used for the Affiliate Program shall be clearly identified as Affiliate served in the title bar of the window and any client-side ad serving software used by Affiliate shall only have been installed on an end-user's computer if the function of the software is clearly disclosed to end-users prior to installation, the installation is pursuant to an affirmatively accepted and plain-english end user license agreement and the software be easily removed according to generally accepted methods.
    3. Affiliate Network Campaigns. For all Affiliate's that maintain their own affiliate networks, Affiliate agrees to place the Links in its affiliate network (the "Network") for access and use by those affiliates in Affiliate's Network (each a "Third Party Affiliate"). Affiliate agrees that it will expressly forbid any Third Party Affiliate to modify the Links in any way. Affiliate agrees to maintain its Network according to the highest industry standards. Affiliate shall not permit any party to be a Third Party Affiliate whose web site or business model involves content containing Objectionable Content. All Third Party Affiliates must be in good standing with Affiliate. Affiliate must require and confirm that all Third Party Affiliates affirmatively accept, through verifiable means, this Agreement prior to obtaining access to the Links. Affiliate shall promptly terminate any Third Party Affiliate who takes, or could reasonably be expected to take, any action that violates the terms and conditions of this Agreement. In the event that either party suspects any wrongdoing by a Third Party Affiliate with respect to the Links, Affiliate shall promptly disclose to WhiteSmoke Software the identity and contact information for such Third Party Affiliate. Affiliate shall promptly remove any Third Party Affiliate from the Affiliate Program and terminate their access to future Offers of WhiteSmoke Software in the Network upon written notice from WhiteSmoke Software. Unless WhiteSmoke Software has been provided with all truthful and complete contact information for a Third Party Affiliate and such Third Party Affiliate has affirmatively accepted this Agreement as recorded by WhiteSmoke Software, Affiliate shall remain liable for all acts or omissions of any Third Party Affiliate.

#Anti-Spam Policy

You must strictly comply with the federal CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 (the "Act"). All emails sent in connection with the Affiliate Program must include the appropriate party's opt-out link. From time to time, we may request - prior to your sending emails containing linking or referencing the Affiliate Program that you submit the final version of your email to WhiteSmoke Software for approval by sending it to your WhiteSmoke Software representative and upon receiving written approval from WhiteSmoke Software of your email the email may be transmitted to third parties.

It is solely your obligation to ensure that the email complies with the Act. You agree not to rely upon WhiteSmoke Software's approval of your email for compliance with the Act, or assert any claim that you are in compliance with the Act based upon WhiteSmoke Software's approval.

Those provisions sort of make you legal in the US. CAN-SPAM doesn't prohibit spamming; it just requires you to provide a means to opt out. Your conditions here permit your affiliates to send spam as long as the recipient isn't already on a suppression list. That's sufficient for the US, but not for a lot of other countries.

You are allowing affiliates to mail to any list of addresses they come up with so long as they remove addresses on your suppression list. That's better than a lot of spammers, but you still have no control of where they are getting their addresses. If they are purchasing them, they don't even have control. If they were gathered by email address harvesting bots, that violates CAN-SPAM. Even though you didn't gather the addresses illegally yourself, CAN-SPAM makes you responsible for the actions of your affiliates.

Unsolicited commercial email is spam, and most people don't want it. You aren't the only ones sending it. There's too much of it. And if your software is as highly reviewed as you say, why would you need to spam in the first place? It ought to sell itself.

Your terms allow your affiliates to have affiliate programs of their own. That's putting you pretty far removed from the people actually interacting with your potential customers. It doesn't convey the impression that you are serious about making sure your affiliates behave responsibly.

Yes, WOT has a wiki. Check there first for fast answers to many questions like "Why is my site rated red, and how do I fix that?"

8. User picture
    • karenwhite on Wed 06 Jul 2011
    • 09:10:14 AM UTC

Originally posted by: BobJam
    Would definitely be interested to see the explanation for this one!

"Small" antivirus companies are known to "detect" software as malware just because the see that big companies do the same.
    There are no detections on ESET, Kaspersky, Microsoft, AVG, and Norton - I believe the smaller and less significant antiviruses will remove their detection soon.

Also, some antivirus companies detect the toolbar as adware - this is only in our free version of the software and is completely optional - the user does not have to install the toolbar to try our software.

9. User picture
    • 09:21:47 AM UTC

Originally posted by: AlphaCentauri
    I didn't know Trust-E evaluated software. I thought they only looked at the website itself.

I'm not a malware researcher, so I can't evaluate whether they are false positives or not. You have to get the AV companies to address it before members of the unwashed masses like me can say it's safe.

But there are many shades of "bad" when it comes to software. When your site tells me it will "work from any text application and be fully integrated with Microsoft Outlook to automatically check my emails" and will that my computer will be "directly connected to the WhiteSmoke servers, allowing your software to improve as we update our technology," what you're saying is that your software doesn't work on my computer; it transmits my writing to your server for translation, maybe without checking with me first. That's a major privacy issue. It may be cloud computing to you, but it's spyware to me. That's enough to get AV/antispyware programs to consider it a threat.

In addition, you aren't forthright about your location. 501 Silverside Rd, Suite 105, Wilmington Delaware is a mail forwarding service. It is used by companies that want to give the impression that they are located in the US when they are located somewhere else they'd rather not admit to. The company that runs it isn't particular who they deal with, so it's been associated with scammers. That doesn't help your credibility. Just give your real address. We aren't all Americans here. We can handle it.

All of our information is public, including where our main offices are located - as is the law in American public companies

Our product is a client-server product, the interface works by sending your texts to our servers (where our algorithms and main technology is located) and the servers send you back the corrections.
    The privacy policy states that sensitive information SHOULD NOT be sent if you fear for your privacy. This is not spyware as no one has access to these texts - in fact only one person in the whole company has access to the servers. The reason we cannot provide an offline solution is because our technology is heavy, complicated and advanced and requires 16 servers to maintain - not something a user can install on their PC.
    Also, as apposed to Google who admit to saving all if your personal searches and information, we do not. Once your mistakes are sent back to you, it's not longer in our servers.
    The texts our servers use to "learn" how humans write are texts we enter from articles, books, etc. NOT texts from users

10. User picture
    • 09:31:47 AM UTC

Originally posted by: leofelix
    @ karenwhite
    mind explain this?

etc etc etc
    Thanks

You scanned the wrong installer.
    I scanned the installer of our free trial version available for download on our website and the results are all "green"
    http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresult/a97d13b3c...

In addition, below is an email a representative of AVG sent our VP R&D apologizing for THEIR error

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:15 PM
    To: Liran Brenner
    Subject: Case AVG#0003411723: [ ref:00D4000000086fU.5004000000FoyT0:ref ] RE: WhiteSmoke.com - False positive review as Malware - URGENT (second request)

Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your email.

We would like to inform you that we take the data you sent and consulted with us on each of the mentioned file induce detection.

Unfortunately, the previous virus database might have detected the mentioned virus in some legitimate applications. We can confirm that this was a false alarm. Detection of these files will be corrected in the next update of AVG virus database. When the update is completed, AVG will automatically restore the falsely detected file from the AVG Virus Vault to its original location.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Best regards,

Mark Joseph Capicio
    AVG Customer Services
    http://www.avg.com

To ensure the fastest service possible, please do not change the subject of this e-mail in your reply.

Join the AVG community!
    http://www.facebook.com/AVGFree
    http://www.twitter.com/avgfree
    http://www.youtube.com/officialavg
    Internal Virus Database is out of date.
    Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
    Version: 8.5.448 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3210 - Release Date: 10/21/10 06:34:00

False positives are a problem common to all freeware - our paid version has never been detected, but free versions are sometimes automatically detected and require companies to contact antivirus companies one by one. Some antiviruses even detect their competing antivirus software.

11. User picture
    • 09:49:09 AM UTC

Additional information, from your affiliate program terms and conditions:

The following additional program-specific terms shall apply to any promotional programs set forth below:

1. Email Campaigns. For all email campaigns, Affiliate must download the "Suppression List" from the Offers section of WhiteSmoke Software. Affiliate shall filter its email list by removing any entries appearing on the Suppression List and will only send emails to the remaining addresses on its email list. WhiteSmoke Software will provide an opt-out method in all Links, however, if any opt-out requests come directly to Affiliate, Affiliate shall immediately forward them to WhiteSmoke Software at zach@whitesmoke.com. Affiliate's emails containing the Links may not include any content other than the Links, except as required by applicable law.
    1.Affiliate agrees that failure to download the Suppression List and remove all emails from the database before mailing may result in Commission withholdings, removal or suspension from all or part of the Affiliate Program, possible legal action and any other rights or remedies available to WhiteSmoke Software pursuant to this Agreement or otherwise. Affiliate further agrees that it will not mail or market to any suppression files generated through the WhiteSmoke Software network, and that doing so may result in Commission withholdings, removal or suspension from the Affiliate Program, possible legal action and any other rights or remedies available to WhiteSmoke Software pursuant to this Agreement or otherwise.
    2. Advertising Campaigns. No Links can appear to be associated with or be positioned on chat rooms or bulletin boards unless otherwise agreed by WhiteSmoke Software in writing. Any pop-ups/unders used for the Affiliate Program shall be clearly identified as Affiliate served in the title bar of the window and any client-side ad serving software used by Affiliate shall only have been installed on an end-user's computer if the function of the software is clearly disclosed to end-users prior to installation, the installation is pursuant to an affirmatively accepted and plain-english end user license agreement and the software be easily removed according to generally accepted methods.
    3. Affiliate Network Campaigns. For all Affiliate's that maintain their own affiliate networks, Affiliate agrees to place the Links in its affiliate network (the "Network") for access and use by those affiliates in Affiliate's Network (each a "Third Party Affiliate"). Affiliate agrees that it will expressly forbid any Third Party Affiliate to modify the Links in any way. Affiliate agrees to maintain its Network according to the highest industry standards. Affiliate shall not permit any party to be a Third Party Affiliate whose web site or business model involves content containing Objectionable Content. All Third Party Affiliates must be in good standing with Affiliate. Affiliate must require and confirm that all Third Party Affiliates affirmatively accept, through verifiable means, this Agreement prior to obtaining access to the Links. Affiliate shall promptly terminate any Third Party Affiliate who takes, or could reasonably be expected to take, any action that violates the terms and conditions of this Agreement. In the event that either party suspects any wrongdoing by a Third Party Affiliate with respect to the Links, Affiliate shall promptly disclose to WhiteSmoke Software the identity and contact information for such Third Party Affiliate. Affiliate shall promptly remove any Third Party Affiliate from the Affiliate Program and terminate their access to future Offers of WhiteSmoke Software in the Network upon written notice from WhiteSmoke Software. Unless WhiteSmoke Software has been provided with all truthful and complete contact information for a Third Party Affiliate and such Third Party Affiliate has affirmatively accepted this Agreement as recorded by WhiteSmoke Software, Affiliate shall remain liable for all acts or omissions of any Third Party Affiliate.

#Anti-Spam Policy

You must strictly comply with the federal CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 (the "Act"). All emails sent in connection with the Affiliate Program must include the appropriate party's opt-out link. From time to time, we may request - prior to your sending emails containing linking or referencing the Affiliate Program that you submit the final version of your email to WhiteSmoke Software for approval by sending it to your WhiteSmoke Software representative and upon receiving written approval from WhiteSmoke Software of your email the email may be transmitted to third parties.

It is solely your obligation to ensure that the email complies with the Act. You agree not to rely upon WhiteSmoke Software's approval of your email for compliance with the Act, or assert any claim that you are in compliance with the Act based upon WhiteSmoke Software's approval.

Those provisions sort of make you legal in the US. CAN-SPAM doesn't prohibit spamming; it just requires you to provide a means to opt out. Your conditions here permit your affiliates to send spam as long as the recipient isn't already on a suppression list. That's sufficient for the US, but not for a lot of other countries.

You are allowing affiliates to mail to any list of addresses they come up with so long as they remove addresses on your suppression list. That's better than a lot of spammers, but you still have no control of where they are getting their addresses. If they are purchasing them, they don't even have control. If they were gathered by email address harvesting bots, that violates CAN-SPAM. Even though you didn't gather the addresses illegally yourself, CAN-SPAM makes you responsible for the actions of your affiliates.

Unsolicited commercial email is spam, and most people don't want it. You aren't the only ones sending it. There's too much of it. And if your software is as highly reviewed as you say, why would you need to spam in the first place? It ought to sell itself.

Your terms allow your affiliates to have affiliate programs of their own. That's putting you pretty far removed from the people actually interacting with your potential customers. It doesn't convey the impression that you are serious about making sure your affiliates behave responsibly.

Thank you for your comment. I understand your concern and I'm happy to explain:
    Affiliates are completely independent from WhiteSmoke and do not have access to any of our user databases. If we find an affiliate using marketing methods that we believe to be unethical or "spammy", we immediately erase their accounts and cease work with them, and we have done this in the past. We are very strict with our affiliates and do what we can to make sure they comply with all spam laws though it is important to understand that an affiliate is an independent seller that has no access whatsoever to any of the WhiteSmoke databases and any users that sign up to receive emails from an affiliate have signed up to that specific affiliate and not to us. Users who sign up to receive WhiteSmoke newsletters and promotions do not under any circumstances receive emails from affiliates.

12. User picture
    • 10:02:32 AM UTC

Originally posted by: Scientific Frontline
    You still don't get it do you.

Many WoT members are reporting what source indicate.
    Such as several Anti-Virus programs.
    My av says issues, and you want me to ignore this?
    No I don't think so!
    Go get the issues resolved.
    Then go talk to the AV makers about their reports. (which of course they are all wrong)

Once you can prove you're clean, then ask for a review. (or you can continue to get people that are going to get the same results and rate you red)

Might be easier to just shoot yourself in the foot now and get it over with.

We are not asking you to ignore antivirus software - quite the opposite!
    We are completely clean on all major antiviruses and those that have detected us before removed their detections and apologized for the error (see AVG email above)
    We suggest users update their antiviruses
    In addition, Trust-E has approved us, and scans on virus scanning sites also show us as clean:
    http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresult/a97d13b3c...
    http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id...

13. User picture
    • 02:46:16 PM UTC

Originally posted by: karenwhite
    "Small" antivirus companies are known to "detect" software as malware just because the see that big companies do the same. There are no detections on ESET, Kaspersky, Microsoft, AVG, and Norton - I believe the smaller and less significant antiviruses will remove their detection soon. Also, some antivirus companies detect the toolbar as adware - this is only in our free version of the software and is completely optional - the user does not have to install the toolbar to try our software.

Sorry that's incorrect,. go back to my screenshot... ESET SS 4
    As of late yesterday using ESET SS 5 RC
    I'll download your software sometime today and check if I can find a trial ver..

14. User picture
    • 03:15:57 PM UTC

Update: ESET SS 5 RC blocked download.
    This is the most up-to-date version of ESET Smart Security.

It does not matter if it's infected or not, we are accurately reporting what a Major anti-virus company is declaring.
    Your responsibility is to clear the matter up with them.
    So one more time, your issue is not with WoT.

Let us know when you have resolved.
    Wishing you success in clearly this up,
    Heidi-Ann

15. User picture
    • uhka tutka (not verified) on Wed 06 Jul 2011
    • 04:14:58 PM UTC

People!

Stop discussing the detection and read the identification: it is not a virus, it is ADWARE!

That's the "Spyware or adware" comment category and not "Malicious content, viruses", which would probably avoid some confusion when talking to the software producer. The software is not really harmful, but more an annoyance.

Let me explain it in simple words: Generic Adware... software that has been created to have a strong impact on your system by adding ad-implementations to it. This can range from resetting your browser's start-page to a specific one up to modifying your hosts file and registry entries to influence your (mostly) "browsing" experience.

Also see Avira's categorization: ADWARE/Adware.Gen

And if you would check http://www.avira.com/en/support-threats-summary/ti... you would see it's

Virus: ADWARE/Adware.Gen
    Date discovered: 02/10/2009
    Type: Adware
    In the wild: Yes
    Reported Infections: Low
    Distribution Potential: Low
    Damage Potential: Low
    Static file: No
    Engine version: 7.09.01.33
    Special detection ADWARE/Adware.Gen
    Description:
    A generic detection routine designed to detect common family characteristics shared in several variants.
    This special detection routine was developed in order to detect unknown variants and will be enhanced continuously.
    Version history:
    The following engine updates were released in order to enhance detection:
    • 7.09.01.33 ( 03/10/2009 )
    • 7.09.01.50 ( 28/10/2009 )
    • 7.09.01.88 ( 30/11/2009 )
    • 7.09.01.33/8.02.01.33 ( 03/10/2009 )
    • 7.09.01.50/8.02.01.50 ( 28/10/2009 )
    • 7.09.01.88/8.02.01.88 ( 30/11/2009 )
    • 7.09.01.134/8.02.01.134 ( 08/01/2010 )
    • 7.09.01.194/8.02.01.194 ( 17/03/2010 )
    • 7.09.01.204/8.02.01.204 ( 26/03/2010 )
    • 7.09.01.220/8.02.01.220 ( 15/04/2010 )
    • 7.09.02.04/8.02.02.04 ( 02/06/2010 )
    • 7.09.04.22/8.02.04.22 ( 20/07/2010 )
    • 7.09.04.32/8.02.04.32 ( 29/07/2010 )
    • 7.09.04.38/8.02.04.38 ( 18/08/2010 )
    • 7.09.04.50/8.02.04.58 ( 03/09/2010 )
    • 7.09.04.72/8.02.04.72 ( 01/10/2010 )
    • 7.09.04.82/8.02.04.82 ( 15/10/2010 )
    • 7.09.04.92/8.02.04.92 ( 03/11/2010 )
    • 7.09.04.98/8.02.04.98 ( 12/11/2010 )
    • 7.09.04.158/8.02.04.158 ( 30/01/2011 )
    • 7.09.04.206/8.02.04.206 ( 07/04/2011 )
    • 7.09.04.208/8.02.04.208 ( 14/04/2011 )
    • 7.09.04.224/8.02.04.224 ( 29/04/2011 )

Rated for what it is: adware!

16. User picture
    • 04:26:58 PM UTC

Not rating for virus.
    Stating they have issues they need to resolve with others first, then worry about WoT.
    I would make that top priority at the moment.

When a firewall blocks a page, then they will lose potential customers regardless of what WoT declares.
    Wouldn't you agree.

17. User picture
    • uhka tutka (not verified) on Wed 06 Jul 2011
    • 04:31:06 PM UTC

Originally posted by: Scientific Frontline
    Wouldn't you agree.

Of course I do!

(In fact, the software developer should get whitelisted at Avira and co. as soon as possible. Sending in a copy of the software via e-mail isn't that hard and whitelisting itself takes a week at most. That is - if the software is not indeed adware.)

18. User picture
    • leofelix on Wed 06 Jul 2011
    • 06:49:54 PM UTC

You scanned the wrong installer.

I got that installer from your site.
    Look how many incidents are still alive

http://support.clean-mx.de/clean-mx/viruses.php?domain=whitesmoke.com&sort=first%20desc

In addition I have downloaded another file and uploaded to Virustotal right now

http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id...

File name:
    WhiteSmoke2011.exe
    Submission date:
    2011-07-06 18:05:38 (UTC)
    Current status:
    finished
    Result:
    7/ 43 (16.3%)

and this is just an "on demand" detection

you may also have a look at this snapshot

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

"Small" antivirus companies are known to "detect" software as malware just because the see that big companies do the same.

Really?
    Can you prove it?

We suggest users update their antiviruses

Thank you for your disinterested suggestion.

Definition of adware
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adware

by the way
    http://www.malwaredomains.com/wordpress/?p=1906

Posted on July 6th, 2011 in Removed Domains by dglosser

whitesmoke. com has requested removal from our list. It is being temporarily delisted while we investigate their request.

Nice move, but my rating and comment will stay until you will stop pushing adware

Festina lente

19. User picture
    • Zenon™ (not verified) on Wed 06 Jul 2011
    • 07:38:59 PM UTC

WhiteSmoke Translator

VirusTotal results
    File name: WhiteSmokeInstaller_9263.exe (457480 bytes)
    Detections: 2/ 43 (4.7%)

Scanner - Jiangmin, Threat - Trojan/JmGeneric.uk
    Scanner - NOD32, Threat - a variant of Win32/InstallCore.A

Fie :-(

20. User picture
    • 09:25:23 PM UTC

An AV can call it adware or malware. But that could be a false positive. The question is, how does it behave when installed, and would I consider that behavior undesirable (whether or not it is covered in the EULA)? The downloader available on the website is obviously not the whole program, and I'm not willing to install it on my computer to see the whole thing in action.

Searching for other people's experiences/analysis:
    hxxp://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?md5=925758fa98f9b691de1fade81450fe29
    hxxp://deletemalware.blogspot.com/2011/02/how-to-remove-whitesmoke-translator.html
    hxxp://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic365278.html
    hxxp://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=a3d8ad731e73fb4385afc72aeedc4cf436f60ac72b671fe1ee6ebf4362629ffc-1298313814 (19/43 products detect it as adware)
    hxxp://www.tomshardware.com/forum/14962-63-adaware-found-whitesmoke
    hxxp://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=73947
    hxxp://ssdsandbox.net/view/f3b6df57d226f9f529567ac1c8be327f
    hxxp://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=70703
    hxxp://boardreader.com/thread/Browser_redirection_and_pup_whitesmoke_f_5mib3Xbj5le.html

These people describe a product being distributed surreptitiously bundled with unrelated downloads or delivered by driveby downloads, a program that just pops up on their desktops, a product that is very difficult to remove, a product that slows the browser and causes the computer to reboot repeatedly. Those sound like pretty undesirable behaviors. Whether your website contains anything that is adware itself is beside the point if the download, when used as intended, will install things that are adware.

Why on earth would you come to WOT first, when there are 657,000 hits on google for "WhiteSmoke removal?" Yes, a lot of them are fake AV programs that may be exaggerating any problem, but apparently there are a lot of people who want to remove your program for that to be such a popular SEO keyword set. You need to address your reputation everywhere else before you worry about a little red donut created by the summation of people's opinions.

Then there's this link. I'm not sure what to make of it. It looks like an astroturfing blog post. But if it's an example of what people using your software produce, it's pretty damning:
    hxxp://www.adwareremovers.org/overview-of-whitesmoke-writing-gear-software-package-component-i-actually/

21. User picture
    • uhka tutka (not verified) on Thu 07 Jul 2011
    • 12:02:15 AM UTC

An AV can call it adware or malware. But that could be a false positive. The question is, how does it behave when installed... /snip/ ...and I'm not willing to install it on my computer to see the whole thing in action.

Checked that (for you only, lol) - it's adware. As soon as it's installed, it starts bugging you with "nag-screens" and browser requests when you run it.

22. User picture
    • alphacentauri on Thu 07 Jul 2011
    • 01:35:51 AM UTC

We would like an honest, CURRENT, valuation of our site.
    Thank you.
    Originally posted by: uhka tutka
    Checked that (for you only, lol) - it's adware. As soon as it's installed, it starts bugging you with "nag-screens" and browser requests when you run it.

Looks like the OP's question has been answered. Party over, me go home now. ;)

23. User picture
    • Jazspeak on Thu 07 Jul 2011
    • 08:21:33 AM UTC

Whitesmoke? More like dense fog. Time for everyone to leave this party.

~Music is not just for the Masses~

24. User picture
    • One on Mon 04 Feb 2013
    • 01:06:52 PM UTC

Mozilla has blocked the WhiteSmoke browser extension.

25. User picture
    • Whitesmoke1 on Mon 22 Jul 2013
    • 03:03:37 AM UTC

WhiteSmoke Is under new management, and though it would be a great idea to update everyone, We are SSL secured, we don't save any information. We have a Trust E certificate and a page for more details on any aspect of malware and viruses.

hxxp://www.whitesmoke.com/virus-malware-adware-free/

I would also like to mention we do have a known issue with ESET currently, but I would like to mention we are working on getting the False positive rectified.

You will find that the site is very clean, and we have removed all old affiliates who might have caused damage to the company.

Please could everyone do an honest review of the site and post any criticism that there might be I will be checking this everyday and would like to work with the myWOT community until you all have trust once again in our software.

WhiteSmoke is a world-leading company in the field of English writing technologies, with a focus on products that enhance and correct grammar, spelling, and writing style. WhiteSmoke products are based on natural language processing (NLP) technology, featuring unique and patented artificial intelligence algorithms for text analysis.

WhiteSmoke was established in 2002 to answer an emerging need – quality written communications in a time of increasing global interactions brought on by the growth of the Internet. Since that time, millions of users world over have relied on WhiteSmoke products to ensure their writing is clear and professional.

Has privacy policy?
    hxxp://www.whitesmoke.com/privacy.html

Has a way for users to contact site owners?
    hxxp://www.whitesmoke.com/contact.html

I would like to thank everyone for their time,

David Jones
    WhiteSmoke INC

Online Sales Manager at WhiteSmoke

26. User picture
    • 03:25:43 AM UTC

Website scan

Hi everyone,

I though I would list a few popular sites that you can check a scan on the website for and it will appear clean.

hXXps://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=www.whitesmoke.com
    hXXp://www.malwaredomains.com/
    hXXp://siteinspector.comodo.com/
    hXXp://malc0de.com/database/index.php?search=whitesmoke.com
    hXXp://www.urlvoid.com/scan/whitesmoke.com/
    hXXp://onlinelinkscan.com/results/whitesmoke-com/
    hXXp://www.scumware.org

many thanks,

David Jones
    WhiteSmoke INC

27. User picture
    • Super Hero! on Mon 22 Jul 2013
    • 06:57:54 AM UTC

@OP =

You are using fake security seals, you have changed, but not for the better

The same pop - ups

Fake Verisign seals

From a Trustee seal in your site

This site is NOT CERTIFIED by TRUSTe

One of your links scorecard

https://www.mywot.com/scorecard/buy.whitesmoke....
    buy.whitesmoke.com

An overreaching privacy policy

My rating went from neutral to full red

I will not change my opinion, as I do not have any other color to use to warm people not to visit your site

Adios :/

WOT Android app is available ! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.matiks.mywot Thanks Matiks Great job!

28. User picture
    • 08:27:51 PM UTC

Hi SuperHero58,

Thank you very much for the honest response please can you provide anything else? The privacy policy has been inspected by the countless government organizations we sell WhiteSmoke and it seems they are satisfied with it. Could you please be more specific on what you don't like in the privacy policy? The single pop up on our site is an invitation to our 24/7 chat service which offers Support and assistance. I will be working on the next 3-5 days on getting the logos linked to the correct place and will message you again once that is done.

Thank you once again SuperHero for your review,

if you use the link below you will see we do have a verisign certificate.
    https://ssl-tools.verisign.com/#certChecker

Also I will find the latest link for Truste as the validation site is down although.
    http://clicktoverify.truste.com/pvr.php?page=valid...

David Jones
    WhiteSmoke INC

29. User picture
    • Whitesmoke1 on Mon 16 Sep 2013
    • 08:45:43 PM UTC

The complete overhaul of the our site hXXp://www.whitesmoke.com has been completed now under new management if you could please take a look at hXXp://www.whitesmoke.com and see that everything is 100% safe and nothing is fake.

thank you once again everyone for your time,

David Jones

30. User picture
    • DestinationTruth (not verified) on Mon 16 Sep 2013
    • 10:30:22 PM UTC

Originally posted by: Whitesmoke1
    The complete overhaul of the our site hXXp://www.whitesmoke.com has been completed now under new management if you could please take a look at hXXp://www.whitesmoke.com and see that everything is 100% safe and nothing is fake. thank you once again everyone for your time, David Jones

You're still blacklisted by ESET Version ESET SS6
    You need to take care of all blacklisted issues first.

and this reply by me still applies: https://www.mywot.com/forum/13874-whitesmoke-co...