(The quickest way to register)

Forum

1. User picture
    • Universal344 on Tue 26 Aug 2008
    • 04:01:37 PM UTC

can I have AdAware and Avast on the same computer?

I have AdAware Free and Avast Home Free on my computer. They both have antispyware capabilities but only Avast! provides real time protection. I have windows defender turned off. It is safe to have both on my computer as long as Avast is the only one with real time protection right?

Thanks!

The future is open. Linux.

Comments:

1. User picture
    • lordpake on Tue 26 Aug 2008
    • 04:26:43 PM UTC

Yes. "Men make good pets."

Yes.

"Men make good pets."

2. User picture
    • Anonymous on Tue 26 Aug 2008
    • 04:40:01 PM UTC

Hello, more over you can use

Hello,
    more over you can use 2 (or more) Antispyware programms.
    They recruit each other.

But never use more than 1 Antivirusprogramm, that will be bad for your operating system in worst case.

In my case I use at moment Spybot Search & Destroy, PC Tool Antispyware Doctor and Windows Defender.

As Antivirusprogramm I use a free licence for Aviras AntiVir Premium

if somebody use Avira too, it is easy to get the licence:
    see a library of latest free licences on my site:
    http://dim1319.weebly.com/
    the languages are irrelevant, it works properly and save.

Greeting D.1319

3. User picture
    • LightAce on Sat 06 Sep 2008
    • 11:02:04 PM UTC

Two AV's

I had 3 days of Norton 2008 left and so I bought Kaspersky and installed it along with Norton. I will NEVER ever do that again. The computer started slow and the av's kept conflicting with each other. So never have two AV's on the same comp. However for your situation you can cause their not both antiviruses.

4. User picture
    • lordpake on Sat 06 Sep 2008
    • 11:05:50 PM UTC

Never have two of the same

Never have two of the same running in background is a good rule :)

No two firewalls, no two antiviruses, no two antispyware. PC can usually have multiple antispyware programs, as long as only one has it's background/real-time protection enabled.

HTH.

"Men make good pets."

5. User picture
    • phantazm on Sat 06 Sep 2008
    • 11:42:58 PM UTC

Never say never...

I think this is more of a rule of thumb. Yes, there may be conflicts but not always. I used to have AVG 7.5 and Avast on the same pc (plus Spybot S&D). I had no problems...

Now I only use Avast as antivirus, but that's because AVGs big upgrade to 8.0 failed on my pc (but that's probably caused by errors in the windows registry, I guess...)

Furthermore, it's sometimes nice to get a 'second opinion' from an online scanner, and I usually use F-secures. (Btw, both wot and f-secure are finnish...)