(The quickest way to register)

Forum

1. User picture
    • BPaulsen32 on Sat 03 Mar 2012
    • 11:00:45 PM UTC

WOT will not allow post of dangerous site

Wow, I went to http://blog.robfore.com/valued-opinions-scam/ . I barely had time to read two words, & the browser was redirected so many times that I had a horrible time closing all the windows...including having to navigate all the "leave the page" scripts. I finally landed on commissionbreakthrough.com with no idea where I had originally started, so I tried to leave a ratings review for that.

I entered what I believe to be a fair assessment of their trustworthiness, etc. {excluding the child safety}...all as low as I could rate them. I left a detailed comment stating the browser activity, & tried to post w/"ethical issues", it locked me out saying that I WASN'T BEING TRUTHFUL ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE...tried several other ratings, increasing them against my better judgement, & reasons for the post, still locked out.

In defense of WOT, I did clear the cookies before I tried to post, & did not accept third party cookies from the site. I understand there are security measures designed to keep people from falsely rating a site, but being prevented from leaving an honest appraisal of a site that I believe will cause others great harm, or lots of frustration at the least, is nothing more than censorship; especially when they just finished trashing the reputation of a well-known work at home site that is totally above board, giving them an untrustworthy rating when there wasn't a single negative comment posted. I'm done. Will uninstall WOT permanently.

Comments:

1. User picture
    • NotBuyingIt on Sun 04 Mar 2012
    • 02:03:28 AM UTC

RE: WOT will not allow post of dangerous site

Originally posted by: BPaulsen32
    I left a detailed comment stating the browser activity, & tried to post w/"ethical issues", it locked me out saying that I WASN'T BEING TRUTHFUL ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE...tried several other ratings, increasing them against my better judgement, & reasons for the post, still locked out.
    \

What an odd experience. I've never heard of anything like that happening. WOT has always accepted the most damning remarks that I have wanted to post about any site. The most difficulty that people seem to encounter, particularly new users, is having to solve a CAPTCHA. That may be annoying, but it has nothing to do with an accusation of dishonesty or with censorship. See
    http://www.mywot.com/wiki/Comment_restrictions
    I have been in situations where my browser failed to render the captcha challenge, making it appear that I had been locked out.

2. User picture
    • Sami on Sun 04 Mar 2012
    • 06:01:26 AM UTC

it locked me out saying that I WASN'T BEING TRUTHFUL ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE

There's no such message anywhere on our website or in the add-on. Your rating for commissionbreakthrough.com has been saved as you can see from the My ratings tab in your profile.

I did clear the cookies before I tried to post

You will be logged out from our site if you clear your cookies and only logged in users can post comments. This would explain why you couldn't post a comment.

trashing the reputation of a well-known work at home site that is totally above board, giving them an untrustworthy rating when there wasn't a single negative comment posted

Reputations are computed from ratings, not comments, and many people find sites promoting work at home schemes untrustworthy.

3. User picture
    • c۞g on Sun 04 Mar 2012
    • 08:28:42 AM UTC

Thanks!
    blog.robfore.com/valued-opinions-scam
    shows a framed "overlay" displaying: http://www.commissionbreakthrough.com/?hop=4freedomx&?sppro_email=null&sppro_name=null

This post contains approximately 1025 domains (directly or indirectly related)
    Work from Home scams

∞ - and you and I Opto, ergo sum

4. User picture
    • BPaulsen32 on Wed 07 Mar 2012
    • 08:50:46 AM UTC

Originally posted by: NotBuyingIt
    \

What an odd experience. I've never heard of anything like that happening. WOT has always accepted the most damning remarks that I have wanted to post about any site. The most difficulty that people seem to encounter, particularly new users, is having to solve a CAPTCHA. That may be annoying, but it has nothing to do with an accusation of dishonesty or with censorship. See
    http://www.mywot.com/wiki/Comment_restrictions
    I have been in situations where my browser failed to render the captcha challenge, making it appear that I had been locked out.

NotBuyingIt,

Of course, you're free to choose not to buy whatever you want. I don't believe in accepting anything at face value, but you might want to at least ask questions if there's something you don't understand, rather than to insinuate, through your choice of screen name, that there's something about a post that is not believable, or that it was written in a way that violated the rules.

I was 30 when I got my first computer; every command had to be executed in DOS. None of the many reasons that cause a site to lock a person out involve their computer being upset with them for lying. The message displayed when a person fails to enter a CAPTCHA correctly also doesn't say anything about dishonesty, much less display that type of message if the CAPTCHA hasn't rendered.

I did say that I cleared the cookies before I tried to post, & that it may have been the reason for the lockout. If you were trying to be helpful, which I doubt, you might have caught on that I included that information to avoid making an inflammatory statement without giving all the facts; and that I was looking for confirmation that clearing the cookies could have caused the problem.

If your goal is to gain some petty satisfaction by questioning people's experiences, or to defend WOT, your responses won't have any credibility until you make sure you have all the facts, and respond in a relevant manner, rather than to counter with random issues.

5. User picture
    • MysteryFCM on Wed 07 Mar 2012
    • 08:54:30 AM UTC

Still prefer DOS myself ;o)

Regards Steven Burn I.T. Mate / hpHosts it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

6. User picture
    • Jazspeak on Wed 07 Mar 2012
    • 09:46:18 AM UTC

Originally posted by: MysteryFCM
    "Still prefer DOS..."

Well, it was a slight improvement on FORTRAN. :)

~Music is not just for the Masses~

7. User picture
    • BPaulsen32 on Wed 07 Mar 2012
    • 11:22:59 AM UTC

Originally posted by: Sami
    There's no such message anywhere on our website or in the add-on. Your rating for commissionbreakthrough.com has been saved as you can see from the My ratings tab in your profile.

Then, I should have seen a message accepting the rating. I know what I saw, & it definitely said that I was required to post an honest evaluation of my experience. If it was on the screen before I began the post, & I didn't notice it until after I had the issue, I can accept that, & apologize...but, I know what I saw. I opened the comment in a separate window so that I could refer to it to ensure that I had my facts straight. Your site influences people's livelihood. I would never post an untruthful, malicious, or unwarranted comment; about your site, or any other.

You will be logged out from our site if you clear your cookies and only logged in users can post comments. This would explain why you couldn't post a comment.

Purposely mentioning that I deleted the cookies, & knowing that it may have influenced your site's security settings to determine if I had actually visited the site {which I did BEFORE I logged onto your site}, & considering that the comment form is only visible when logged in, that's not possible. Just a minute ago, the system threw me out because the login expired...the comment window disappeared, & a message saying I was not allowed to post appeared. It was very apparent, & easy to comprehend, & doesn't even resemble a lock out. For future reference, Firefox has an option to delete cookies, etc., without interfering with active logins.

I understand you're presenting logical explanations for what may have occurred, & I appreciate the effort, but it's not consistent with the information I gave you, or the way your software works.

Reputations are computed from ratings, not comments, and many people find sites promoting work at home schemes untrustworthy.

The site I mentioned is trusted by everyone who takes the time to read the information, & register. There is no selling, no spam, & no shenanigans, only completely voluntary affiliate referrals, reviews, & a massive amount of time dedicated to helping people avoid scams. I was simply commenting that I find it difficult to understand how the ratings could be so bad when literally every single comment was in support of the site. And, no matter what I tried, I could not find a way to review the ratings individually to see if there was something wrong with the site that I'm not aware of.

Offering a rating, good, or poor, without allowing members to judge for themselves how much can be accredited to people who misunderstood a site, or failed to utilize the information properly is ludicrous; especially if the ratings are bad, & literally all the comments are positive. Honestly, it makes the ratings appear to be rigged, & it's a common complaint...not just from people who cite conspiracies against a particular faith, or political stance. At the very least, there should be an internal system to investigate when comments & ratings are so disparate, regardless of the reputation of similar sites. I understand you have payroll, & other overhead expenses. But, you've appointed yourselves as internet police, & are literally influencing people's income. It's VERY IRRESPONSIBLE to be so flippant about possible issues with the system.

8. User picture
    • Jazspeak on Wed 07 Mar 2012
    • 12:24:56 PM UTC

@ BPaulsen32

"The site I mentioned is trusted..."

Do you mean the site you mentioned in the OP (blog.robfore.com/valued-opinions-scam)? If so, then you adequately described suspicious redirects that point to why people do not seem to trust the site. The rest of your rants just look like trolling, especially since you stated in the OP, "Will uninstall WOT permanently.", which is something you obviously haven't done.

~Music is not just for the Masses~

9. User picture
    • NotBuyingIt on Wed 07 Mar 2012
    • 03:21:21 PM UTC

I entered what I believe to be a fair assessment of their trustworthiness, etc. {excluding the child safety}...all as low as I could rate them. I left a detailed comment stating the browser activity, & tried to post w/"ethical issues", it locked me out saying that I WASN'T BEING TRUTHFUL ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE...tried several other ratings, increasing them against my better judgement, & reasons for the post, still locked out.
    \

@BPaulsen32, I can believe that you were unable to post a comment, but I do not believe that there was any message from WOT that can reasonably be interpreted as "saying that I WASN'T BEING TRUTHFUL ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE". Based upon what you have written, one suspects that you grossly misinterpreted a communication which distressed you. Sami has already told you that there is no such message, so it is time for you to admit your mistake. [Edit: Add] OTOH, if you stand by your chacterisation, you must provide an accurate quotation or (if the event is reproducible) a screenshot of the offending WOT message because nobody yet seems to know what you are describing. Of course, it would be unwise to visit a potentially dangerous site while attempting to reproduce the event and I would discourage trying that.

10. User picture
    • SuperHero58 on Wed 07 Mar 2012
    • 03:59:29 PM UTC

NotBuyingIt,

Of course, you're free to choose not to buy whatever you want. I don't believe in accepting anything at face value, but you might want to at least ask questions if there's something you don't understand, rather than to insinuate, through your choice of screen name, that there's something about a post that is not believable, or that it was written in a way that violated the rules.

I was 30 when I got my first computer; every command had to be executed in DOS. None of the many reasons that cause a site to lock a person out involve their computer being upset with them for lying. The message displayed when a person fails to enter a CAPTCHA correctly also doesn't say anything about dishonesty, much less display that type of message if the CAPTCHA hasn't rendered.

I did say that I cleared the cookies before I tried to post, & that it may have been the reason for the lockout. If you were trying to be helpful, which I doubt, you might have caught on that I included that information to avoid making an inflammatory statement without giving all the facts; and that I was looking for confirmation that clearing the cookies could have caused the problem.

If your goal is to gain some petty satisfaction by questioning people's experiences, or to defend WOT, your responses won't have any credibility until you make sure you have all the facts, and respond in a relevant manner, rather than to counter with random issues.

There is not need to offend a user/rater who his credibility is impeccable , as for me i rated the site for what it is , a scam
    Have a nice day
  11. User picture
    • NotBuyingIt on Wed 07 Mar 2012
    • 06:19:29 PM UTC

A note about blog.robfore.com:

I see that hpHosts has a caution concerning MMT (misleading marketing) today, although the caution is not yet displayed upon the site's WOT scorecard. (As I write this, the caution is probably too new.)