(The quickest way to register)

Forum

1. User picture
    • Satchman on Fri 27 Apr 2012
    • 09:00:06 PM UTC

How to Block Pop Ups AND Pop Unders From Appearing in Websites

How To Block Pop Unders From Websites

Most modern software browsers have built-in tools for blocking pop-ups, which are turned on be default and do a good job . However, what about pop-unders? Those little annoying banner ads that hide on your Task Bar generated by websites to make more revenue?

The website ehow.com has a great article on how to block pop-unders for most of the major browsers: For best results, reboot your computer after applying the steps for the pop-up/pop under you are blocking.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6834188_block-pop-unders.h...

Hope this helps!

Satch

PS. THESE TIPS WILL ONLY STOP BANNER POP UPS AND POP UNDERS THAT ARE GENERATED FROM A WEB-PAGE. THEY WILL NOT STOP BANNER ADS AND POP-UPS GENERATED BY MALWARE. ONLY UP-TO-DATE ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE CAN DO THAT.

Comments:

1. User picture
    • -Saad- on Fri 27 Apr 2012
    • 10:16:52 PM UTC

RE: How to Block Pop Ups AND Pop Unders From Appearing in Websit

This seems quite helpful but I find it much easier to just use Adblock Plus. It blocks out just about every single type of ad, including pop ups and pop unders.

2. User picture
    • Satchman on Fri 27 Apr 2012
    • 10:31:32 PM UTC

Originally posted by: -Saad-
    This seems quite helpful but I find it much easier to just use Adblock Plus. It blocks out just about every single type of ad, including pop ups and pop unders.

I had one of those Ad Block plug ins. The problem was although at first it was really good, over time I was just blocking any ads on a page I didn't like. And sometimes you can block an ad, but doing so may also inhibit good things on a site from loading, or slow down the loading process. I think using the methods in the article are good, because you are blocking only what you want to block from within the browser, and you don't have a plug in that could slow things down over time.

Oh Google Chrome users, when the article talks about going to "Options" under the Wrench icon, in later versions, that has been changed to "Settings".

Satch

3. User picture
    • Satchman on Sun 29 Apr 2012
    • 09:10:55 PM UTC

Another tip that might help:

Go to your browsers' Cookie Settings and block all Third Party Cookies from each of your browsers. First party cookies, store your user-names and passwords on your system and are "remembered" so you don't have to log into a site each time. Opt out options,( i.e-checking or unchecking "Remember Me on This Computer)" are often available on a per site basis. If you are on a public computer, make sure you DO NOT check "Remember Me on This Computer." and be sure to close your browser when done, especially when dealing with secure transactions.

Third-Party cookies are advertisements from web-pages, and those you should consider blocking in your browser. Remember though that malware can still put nasties on your computer that your cookie settings, regardless of what they are, will not stop until the malware is off of your system. Have up-to-date Anti-Virus Software at all times as a first line of defense. Update and scan your system manually at least twice a month to once a week depending on your time schedule. I would also recommend at least two forms of back-up protection, such as a second-hard drive, or CD/DVD ROM, or a secure on-line storage facility.

Hope this helps! Staff safe everyone!

Satch

4. Erm...
    If you kill pop-ups / pop-unders... how do you _know_ which sites to paint?
    Especially those which incorporate a redirect.

∞ - and you and I Opto, ergo sum

5. User picture
    • hotdoge3 on Mon 30 Apr 2012
    • 08:14:10 AM UTC

see # 16 Tips & Warnings

The pop-up blocking feature within web browsers cannot block pop-unders or pop-ups that display as a result of adware.

6. User picture
    • Satchman on Mon 30 Apr 2012
    • 08:28:51 AM UTC

I am trying Ad Block for Chrome, which seems BETTER than Ad Block Plus. This time, though I am not going to go crazy with creating my own filters. You can get it at the Chrome Store or just Google, "Ad Block for Chrome." (Not the + version)

Satch

7. User picture
    • omnia quaerite ac... on Tue 15 May 2012
    • 05:33:33 PM UTC

Just use Adblock Plus and NoScript (firefox) and youll have zero problems with these

Omnia quaerite ac semper dubitate in rerum persequenda cognitione Question everything and be always in doubt in the pursuit of knowledge --- Anti Spam

8. User picture
    • demonluo on Sat 19 May 2012
    • 02:53:42 AM UTC

Adblock Plus and NoScript is a very good combination for blocking regular ads but they can't block forced popup/under tab/window via ur own left click to link/anywhere on the webpage w hidden invisible ifame/script (eg, left click (not middle click) bitshare/rayfile DL button it'll forced open new tab/window just for their useless silly popup/under ads while letting u DL at the same time) but this can be easily blocked by popupmaster (but only support FF up to 3.6) & for IE just change popup blocking level to high instead of that useless medium level (which everyone seem to use by default)...

Platinum Level Member of the WOT Community

9. User picture
    • omnia quaerite ac... on Sat 19 May 2012
    • 11:57:03 AM UTC

Originally posted by: demonluo
    Adblock Plus and NoScript is a very good combination for blocking regular ads but they can't block forced popup/under tab/window via ur own left click to link/anywhere on the webpage w hidden invisible ifame/script (eg, left click (not middle click) bitshare/rayfile DL button it'll forced open new tab/window just for their useless silly popup/under ads while letting u DL at the same time) but this can be easily blocked by popupmaster (but only support FF up to 3.6) & for IE just change popup blocking level to high instead of that useless medium level (which everyone seem to use by default)...

Yes they do, its been there for some time already.

Omnia quaerite ac semper dubitate in rerum persequenda cognitione Question everything and be always in doubt in the pursuit of knowledge --- Anti Spam

10. User picture
    • ReaperForVirus on Tue 26 Jun 2012
    • 04:44:26 PM UTC

Ad-Block plus?

Worse nightmare for a hacker

11. User picture
    • Jazspeak on Tue 26 Jun 2012
    • 04:55:36 PM UTC

Originally posted by: ReaperForVirus
    "Ad-Block plus?"

That is effective for those sites and adware that are on its blacklists but it is not 100% effective. On the other hand, nothing can be 100% effective, and AdBlock Plus is very good and should be one of the 'must have' browser addons.

~Music is not just for the Masses~

12. User picture
    • ReaperForVirus on Tue 26 Jun 2012
    • 05:20:13 PM UTC

Originally posted by: Jazspeak
    That is effective for those sites and adware that are on its blacklists but it is not 100% effective. On the other hand, nothing can be 100% effective, and AdBlock Plus is very good and should be one of the 'must have' browser addons.

Yes i know,That's why i do not visit sites that can harmful,Plus No-Script are another great addon,But mywot is best :)

Worse nightmare for a hacker