(The quickest way to register)

Forum

1. User picture
    • c۞g on Mon 06 Apr 2009
    • 08:14:01 PM UTC

SurfCanyon

With the recent blog post of WOT and SurfCanyon, stating, "With the release of Surf Canyon’s newest version, you are protected by WOT as you browse deep into the Web."

I was curious, so I installed SurfCanyon.
    I expected to see the WOT site rating in the surfCanyon results page

WOT does not work with SurfCanyon

Going directly to google.com, WOT does work with Google and SurfCanyon. Basically, two addons working separately.

SurfCanyon has it's own "search engine"
    I went into my.surfcanyon.com and performed the same search in the each of the selectable engines and here is what I got:

MSN / Live Search - WOT works
    Yahoo! = WOT works
    Google = WOT works
    Lexis Web = WOT does not work
    Craigslist = WOT does not work
    SurfCanyon = WOT does not work

Also, no where on SurfCanyon do they mention WOT - Web of Trust for a safer search experience. Maybe they should?

∞ - and you and I Opto, ergo sum

Comments:

1. User picture
    • Athlonite on Mon 06 Apr 2009
    • 09:17:19 PM UTC

I have too ...

I have installed it after reading your post and what in the heck is this suppose to do. I did a search on speed. I got some responses from Google and clicked on the Target .
    Then , clicked on one of the targets proposals and got a Blank Page with a Search box.
    Not my idea of a search engine. Unless I'm doing something wrong I expected some results from clicking in the Targets proposals. Twice I got the same results,a Blank page.

What am I doing wrong ?

I did my thing with the settings and saved them but, what else does this thing do?

And you're right , no WOT with the Target's results. Did not research it longer , No Time right now but, I will be reading more on this add-on. Meanwhile, someone could explain the usefulness of this add-on.

Athlonite.

Your help is always needed.

2. User picture
    • cotojo on Mon 06 Apr 2009
    • 09:24:38 PM UTC

Usefulness

Is purely on bringing more relevant searches in the sub pages or Target as they call it, but losing WOT on many searches takes reliability out of the equation. Bringing relevant searches from page 30 or wherever to the target font page is a good idea but not at the expense of the security of WOT that many rely on.

Colin
    http://freepcsecurity.co.uk

• User picture
      • 09:33:56 PM UTC

Agree !!

Yes, I rely on WOT for my searches. If they can't have WOT along side their search results , I want nothing to do with this add-on. I always find what I am seeking for with Google. it's a matter of knowing how to formulate your search parameters . If I can't see a use for this then , I'm sorry but, I will uninstall. Might be good for others but, I don't think I will be needing more help with my searching the net.
      (starting to sound like a GOM).

Athlonite.

3. User picture
    • Sami on Mon 06 Apr 2009
    • 09:43:41 PM UTC

Re: SurfCanyon

Lexis Web, Craigslist, SurfCanyon

We don't support any of these sites. Our add-on plays nicely with Surf Canyon on supported sites in Firefox though.

4. User picture
    • 09:50:23 PM UTC

Ok !!

OK , Sami . I will give it more time but, it better be convincing . I don't like superfluous add-ons. it only makes FF too heavy.

Athlonite.

5. User picture
    • Tonor on Mon 06 Apr 2009
    • 11:13:54 PM UTC

Mentioned on SurfCanyon blog

» Also, no where on SurfCanyon do they mention WOT - Web of Trust for a safer search experience. Maybe they should?

Perhaps they should on their main site, but they do mention it in their blog.

• User picture
      • c۞g on Tue 07 Apr 2009
      • 12:31:22 AM UTC

blog

I didn't realize they had a blog until I seen those itty bitty little links in the footer.
      I read the post, and... I replied. :-)
      -------
      Against Intuition - gives us safety through Web of Trust.
      WOT Community - gives us security through unity.
      Thank you all
      G7W {G.O.M}
      http://g7w.net/

6. User picture
    • Deborah S. on Wed 08 Apr 2009
    • 07:52:24 AM UTC

WOT on "splash page"

Last time SurfCanyon had an auto-update, they included a “splash” page that showed to all users: http://www.surfcanyon.com/newInVersion203.jsp.

• User picture
      • c۞g on Wed 08 Apr 2009
      • 08:41:54 AM UTC

auto-update

I didn't have surfcanyon, so I didn't get the auto-update page.
      I got a new user installation welcome page - it didn't (at the time) mention WOT, only on the Blog.

I guess they didn't like my comment on their blog about incorporating WOT, it was basically praise, but it's been removed showing "no comments"
      -------
      Against Intuition - gives us safety through Web of Trust.
      WOT Community - gives us security through unity.
      Thank you all
      G7W {G.O.M}
      http://g7w.net/

7. User picture
    • BobJam (not verified) on Sat 30 May 2009
    • 03:33:40 PM UTC

This one works

Try this: http://mywot.surfcanyon.com/

A bookmark will do in lieu of installing maybe.