(The quickest way to register)

Forum

1. User picture
    • c۞g on Tue 12 May 2009
    • 07:49:29 PM UTC

digsby

Another IM... sigh

digsby.com <= needs to go RED like all other W3i / freeze.com direct associations.

My problem with it?
    Digsby offers 2 download options

The first is clicking the big DOWNLOAD button that transfers a file (Windows OS) - setup_digsby.exe (4.97 MB)
    As noted on the download page:
    Clicking this Download button starts InstallIQ™
    It manages your installation. Learn More
    (hxxp://www.installadmin.com/InstallQ/installiq_learnmore_w.html)

we all know, or should know the relationship of W3i and freeze.com, it's been discussed before.
    To refresh a little, freeze.com is associated with Phishing, Adware, Spyware, and Browser Exploits

There is an alternate download in the fine print that downloads a non-InstallIQ setup file - digsby_setup.exe (15.2 MB) SA has this file Yelllow and rightly so

Both setup files have several options:

The InstallIQ setup options - reference this comment
    There are 4 Agreement acceptance buttons:
    1. is for installing "Digsby" it self
    2. for installing "PC Confidential" - Author's Scorecard
    3. for installing "Registry Power Cleaner" Author - same as above
    4. the last Acceptance button was to agree to make "My.Freeze.com" as your default homepage.
    After the InstallIQ is finished and downloads the actual digbsy setup file (the 15.2MB one) and you actually install digsby you are then presented with these pre-checked selected options:
    1. Run Digsby now
    2. Start Digsby when my computer starts
    3. Make Google Powered Digsby search my homepage
    4. Make Google Powered Digsby search my search engine
    5. Add Amazon and Ebay search to my browser

Now deselecting all options to close upon installation does not terminate digsby... it opens your browser to the digsby site with a "thank you" notification.

If these options were not pre-selected and left up to the user to click to add during install, I would give digsby a Green to go rating.

But as we all know, most people, especially young people, do not read EULA's, privacy policies, or even review pre-selected install options, they just click "install" "OK" "Submit" to the installation is quick and they can try out their new "toy." The digsby developers, and freeze.com are well aware of this and that's why everything is preset to install all this other garbage with the simple IM.
    BTW 39MB / over 2,000 file in over 35 folders is a bit much for a "simple chat."
    Digsby is coded in Python and requires an interpreter to load it's base files on Windows

So with the freeze.com spyware, the browser exploits, and the adware... why is WOT rating tis Green?

∞ - and you and I Opto, ergo sum

Comments:

1. User picture
    • Galaxyfox on Wed 13 May 2009
    • 01:10:00 AM UTC

Digsby Revenue Methods

I have used Digsby for a really long time and it doesn't bother me that much. Digsby itself is safe and its just the Installer. However, its their only way of making revenue. Unlike random other applications that also have green but force install tracking software like Viewpoint Media Player and also have a bunch of options set by default (I'm referring to AIM here), Digsby is ad free.

Their revenue methods can be found here: http://blog.digsby.com/archives/68

Personally, (in my own opinion only), I rather have the offers (which only occur once), then have streaming ads that link to malicious sites too.

Spread your knowledge and help everyone stay safe on the web.
    Visit http://wintechpedia.blogspot.com for tech tips and guides.

• User picture
      • TheBlueFire on Tue 22 Sep 2009
      • 06:36:06 PM UTC

New Installer.

After Community Comments Digsby did make a new installer just with a "digsby toolbar" (ask.com).

Spy/Adware Free

2. User picture
    • Xp54321 on Wed 13 May 2009
    • 01:25:13 AM UTC

I Still Prefer...

I just use Pidgin for any IM needs instead. :-)

http://www.pidgin.im/

• User picture
      • Greenaces on Wed 13 May 2009
      • 10:01:23 AM UTC

Adium

I'm using Adium right now :)

http://adium.im/

• User picture
        • Samizdata on Sat 24 Sep 2011
        • 02:30:57 PM UTC

RE: Adium

Just a tip.

When talking about a crossplatform client like Digsby, you might want to note your choice Adium is only Mac OS. It can save time and frustration for readers. (As a note, I use Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X).

• User picture
      • 06:35:45 PM UTC

New Installer.

After Community Comments Digsby did make a new installer just with a "digsby toolbar" (ask.com).

Spy/Adware Free

3. User picture
    • Galaxyfox on Wed 13 May 2009
    • 01:34:17 AM UTC

Digsby Offers

Responding to the fact that the offers and homepage change are checked by default, remember that just about all programs with offers such as Trillian, CCleaner, etc... have their offers (often Yahoo! Toolbar and other stuff) are checked by default.

About SA's yellow rating, I honestly don't know why it got yellow. If you compare to it AIM, which they also flagged as adware, it shouldn't get yellow, for programs like AIM also change your home page and I think tries to install a toolbar and set your default search engine (all of this was seemingly not detected by SA).

Spread your knowledge and help everyone stay safe on the web.
    Visit http://wintechpedia.blogspot.com for tech tips and guides.

• User picture
      • 06:37:34 PM UTC

New Installer.

Spy/Adware Free

4. User picture
    • coopycob on Tue 07 Jul 2009
    • 02:33:10 PM UTC

Quality Applications

As an employee of W3i, parent company of freeze.com, InstallIQ generates revenue for many useful applications, like Digsby . We test all the applications we distribute in a stringent, on-going quality assurance process. InstallIQ is certified in the TRUSTe Trusted Download Program. All applications installed through InstallIQ can be easily uninstalled through your Control Panel, Add or Remove. With the revenue generated by InstallIQ many very useful applications are distributed and maintained as a free service to the user.

• User picture
      • MysteryFCM on Tue 07 Jul 2009
      • 03:47:06 PM UTC

Sorry coopycob, we weren't born yesterday.

I've tested InstallQ, and amongst others, it installs "Relevant Knowledge", which is KNOWN MALWARE!. I really don't care that it's "Truste certified" as this means absolutely nothing, it's irrelevant.

Aslong as you install malware, or even adware for that matter, on people's machines, your sites will continue to be blacklisted.

Regards
      Steven Burn
      Ur I.T. Mate Group / hpHosts
      it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

• User picture
        • c۞g on Wed 08 Jul 2009
        • 12:57:24 AM UTC

agreed

'nuff said
        -------
        Against Intuition - gives us safety through Web of Trust.
        WOT Community - gives us security through unity.
        Thank you all
        G7W {G.O.M}
        http://g7w.net/

5. User picture
    • 06:38:36 PM UTC

New Installer.

Spy/Adware Free

• User picture
      • c۞g on Tue 22 Sep 2009
      • 11:37:22 PM UTC

we know

It's discussed here, and no it's not just a toolbar (spyware), it installs Plura
      -------
      Against Intuition - gives us safety through Web of Trust.
      WOT Community - gives us security through unity.
      Thank you all
      - G7W

6. User picture
    • phamous on Fri 16 Apr 2010
    • 03:47:43 AM UTC

Use Aim Adhack for your aim needs

Digsby is crap with it's spyware, but default aim is no different,

Aim 7.2 is fully supported by aim, because it's well.. AIM.

download aim Adhack here,

http://www.aimadhack.net/

purges aim of its spyware and malware, installs aim for you as well if you don't have it already, enjoy!