(The quickest way to register)

Forum

1. User picture
    • Warxas on Mon 13 Jul 2009
    • 10:39:42 PM UTC

Online Armor vs. Outpost Firewall

So I am dumping Comodo. (Finally right?) After it failed it OWN test! http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/cpiltest.html And of course all of the things written in these forums didn't exactly make me happy about them either.
    So which replacement does everyone recommend?
    I was leaning towards Online Armor or Outpost Firewall. Free version of both, if possible. ;) But I was wondering if the paid version of Online Armor was worth the money?

Thank you in advance! Oh, and feel free to recommend a different one.

Comments:

1. User picture
    • Xp54321 on Tue 14 Jul 2009
    • 03:36:29 AM UTC

PC Tools Firewall Plus

I, like you, dumped Comodo a long time ago, for various reasons.

Now, I combine my hardware firewall with a software firewall, PC Tools Firewall Plus being my first choice. Online Armor as my second.

It's up to you, of course. :-)

2. User picture
    • Athlonite on Tue 14 Jul 2009
    • 09:14:18 AM UTC

Hey Warzas !!

Like Xp , I also have been a user of PC Tools Firewall Plus (it's free) , but , as of version 5 , it is now owned by Symantec (Norton) . I still use version 4 as I have heard that 5 has issues . I might be wrong and Xp might be able to confirm or deny that any problems exists.

As for the others you have mentioned , I know that BobJam uses Online Armor and likes it allot. I would be more inclined to recommend Online Armor over Outpost.

You might want to take a look at the Matousec report. They are a independent organization who evaluate Firewalls.
    http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-securit... .

I also believe that Colin might have a few assessments on Free Firewalls.
    http://freepcsecurity.co.uk/2009/07/09/online-armo... .
    This one is for Online Armor. I think he might have others for you if you ask .

Athlonite.

Your help is always needed.

• User picture
      • BobJam (not verified) on Tue 14 Jul 2009
      • 11:34:46 AM UTC

Yes

Athlonite: "I know that BobJam uses Online Armor and likes it allot"
      Yes indeed!

• User picture
      • cotojo on Tue 14 Jul 2009
      • 03:28:09 PM UTC

PC Tools V5

It has some issues with Windows Live Messenger, will not allow it to connect. This also depends on the users configuration.

Online Armor can also cause black screen and requires users to boot into Safe Mode to uninstall.

For some users they work and for some they don't. I use both OA and PC Tools on different machines and OA works better for me :-)

Colin
      http://freepcsecurity.co.uk
      "If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it" - Winston Churchill

• User picture
      • 03:45:10 PM UTC

Version 5

I've had no problems personally with it but it really depends on the individual computer. I currently have PC Tools Firewall Plus on a few different computers and it works fine on them. I also have it installed under Windows 7 and it works fine alongside ThreatFire and NOD32.

I personally use Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 (Just upgraded from 2009 yesterday) which did very well in Matousec's test: http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-securit...

I still combine it though, with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SUPERAntiSpyware, and Sandboxie along with OpenDNS and carefully configuring everything to achieve the best trade-off between security and usability

• User picture
        • demonluo on Tue 14 Jul 2009
        • 07:49:28 PM UTC

can we really trust matousec

can we really trust matousec for the proactive security challenge test result? (coz g-data, avira, eset got super ultra low point on this site while in av-comparatives they r not that low)
        http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-securit...

Online Armor Personal Firewall 3.5.0.14 99% 10+ Excellent GET IT NOW!
        Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 9.0.0.459 96% 10+ Excellent GET IT NOW!
        Comodo Internet Security 3.8.65951.477FREE 96% 10+ Excellent GET IT NOW!
        Outpost Firewall Free 2009 6.5.2724.381.0687.328FREE 93% 10+ Excellent GET IT NOW!
        Outpost Security Suite Pro 2009 6.5.4.2525.381.0687 92% 9 Excellent GET IT NOW!
        Online Armor Personal Firewall 3.5.0.14 FreeFREE 92% 10+ Excellent GET IT NOW!
        Jetico Personal Firewall 2.0.2.8.2327 89% 10+ Very good N/A
        Malware Defender 2.2.2 89% 10+ Very good GET IT NOW!
        Privatefirewall 6.0.20.14 88% 10+ Very good GET IT NOW!
        PC Tools Firewall Plus 5.0.0.36FREE 86% 10 Very good GET IT NOW!
        Netchina S3 2008 3.5.5.1FREE 85% 9 Very good N/A
        ZoneAlarm Pro 8.0.059.000 72% 9 Good Not recommended
        Lavasoft Personal Firewall 3.0.2293.8822 67% 8 Good Not recommended
        Norton Internet Security 2009 16.2.0.7 66% 8 Good Not recommended
        Webroot Desktop Firewall 5.8.0.25FREE 54% 7 Poor Not recommended
        BitDefender Internet Security 2009 12.0.12.0 12% 2 None Not recommended
        ZoneAlarm Free Firewall 8.0.298.000FREE 11% 2 None Not recommended
        Avira Premium Security Suite 9.0.0.367 10% 2 None Not recommended
        CA Internet Security Suite Plus 2009 5.0.0.581 5% 1 None Not recommended
        Rising Internet Security 2009 21.41.21 5% 1 None Not recommended
        Sunbelt Personal Firewall 4.6.1861.0 5% 1 None Not recommended
        ThreatFire Free 4.1.0.25FREE 5% 1 None Not recommended
        eConceal Pro for Windows 2.0.019.1 4% 1 None Not recommended
        ESET Smart Security 4.0.417.0 4% 1 None Not recommended
        Panda Internet Security 2010 15.00.00 4% 1 None Not recommended
        Mamutu 1.7.0.23 2% 1 None Not recommended

Products tested against the suite with 73 tests

Product Product score Level reached Protection level Recommendation Report
        Comodo Firewall Pro 2.4.18.184FREE 55% 7 Poor Not recommended
        Trend Micro Internet Security Pro 17.0.1224 27% 4 None Not recommended
        G DATA InternetSecurity 2008 19% 3 None Not recommended
        McAfee Internet Security 2009 10.0.209 12% 2 None Not recommended
        F-Secure Internet Security 2008 8.00.101 12% 2 None Not recommended
        Ashampoo FireWall FREE 1.20FREE 5% 1 None Not recommended
        Filseclab Personal Firewall 3.0.3.8982FREE 3% 1 None Not recommended

Products tested against the suite with 71 tests

Dynamic Security Agent 2.0.11.22FREE 62% 7 Poor Not recommended

Products tested against the suite with 70 tests

BullGuard Internet Security 8.0.0.13 4% 1 None Not recommended
        Steganos Internet Security 2008 7.5.509 3% 1 None Not recommended

Products tested against the suite with 62 tests

System Safety Monitor 2.3.0.612 77% 7 Good Not recommended
        FortKnox Personal Firewall 2008 3.0.195.0 16% 2 None Not recommended
        Look 'n' Stop 2.06 15% 2 None Not recommended
        AVG Internet Security 8.0.93 6% 1 None Not recommended
        Windows Live OneCare 2.0.2500.22 5% 1 None Not recommended
        iolo Personal Firewall 1.5.2.7 3% 1 None Not recommended

• User picture
          • 08:01:26 PM UTC

Please See...

Please see the test methodology: http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-securit...

The Matousec Proactive Security Challenge does not test the detection capabilities of different products like AV-Comparatives does.

For comparison, you can look at the AV-Comparatives methodology: http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test...

As you can see, they are different tests, meant to test different things thus the different results.

• User picture
            • 08:35:36 PM UTC

@ Xp54321

Although the results can fluctuate and also show discrepancies with any security software, the end user has to be able to make an informed choice and use what works best for them and they are comfortable with it.

As each machine is configured differently, what works for me may not work for you. I have tried four different firewalls in the past few weeks, but OA would not initially install and took 3 attempts, PC Tools V5 blocked Live Messenger, Comodo has lost its credibility and Zone Alarm is no longer as effective as it was, yet for many it still remains the first choice. So in many instances, most users want something simple and easy to install and forget and all we can do is provide them with the relevant information.

A good place to check firewalls is PC Flank and ShieldsUp, then users can test their own configurations :-)

Colin
            "If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it" - Winston Churchill

• User picture
              • 09:47:48 PM UTC

Agreed

I agree with what you just said. Every computer requires a unique set-up.

Out of curiosity, what caused the Online Armor install to fail on you and require three attempts? Live Messenger was not a problem for me with PC Tools Firewall Plus since I don't use Messenger. :-) Comodo I dumped a long time ago.

And as for PC Flank and ShieldsUp!, I've run them many times. :-)

• User picture
                • 10:01:44 PM UTC

@ Xp54321

OA had a problem initiating the engine. On one machine running XP no problem, another machine with XP it took three attempts before it would fully install.

On Vista, it still black screens some machines due to their configuration, but this is something that Tall emu are working on again, as it did the same in the previous version.

I don't use any messengers, but do have them ready to install and test with other software to look for problems. This occurred on both a Vista OS and XP OS with PC Tools V5. Two different machines with two completely different setups , yet on another two machines it works with no problems :-)

Colin

• User picture
                  • demonluo on Wed 15 Jul 2009
                  • 08:17:36 AM UTC

so, is it safe to install OA

so, is it safe to install OA on vista & will it conflict w AV w HIP protection(the one i'm using now is NIS09)?

• User picture
                    • cotojo on Wed 15 Jul 2009
                    • 02:22:59 PM UTC

@ demonlou

OA works on Vista, but not all configurations, It really is a case of try it and see. Personally I would try it and it won't conflict with NIS09.

Colin

• User picture
          • wehaveitall on Wed 15 Jul 2009
          • 12:37:25 AM UTC

Yeah Right

Avira stops ten percent of malware over my dead body. The person who did that test is about 80% off.

We rate the websites, the WOT staff creates, and advertises the add-on, and together, we make it all happen.

3. User picture
    • 07:13:14 PM UTC

deleted

deleted

4. User picture
    • N_C on Tue 14 Jul 2009
    • 11:43:52 AM UTC

Installation problems

Sorry to bump in on the thread, but I recently downloaded Online Armor Firewall. However, when I try to install it, it says something like Driver does not have a digital signiture, I have Vista Home Premium SP2. Should I ignore the warning?

5. User picture
    • 12:26:33 PM UTC

is ur vista 32bit or 64bit?

is ur vista 32bit or 64bit?
    coz many application doesn't support 64bit...

6. User picture
    • N_C on Tue 14 Jul 2009
    • 12:27:15 PM UTC

32 bit

I have the 32 bit version

7. User picture
    • Warxas on Tue 14 Jul 2009
    • 09:04:51 PM UTC

Thank you all

Very much! I think I have decided to go with online armor.
    One last question...
    Those who use online armor, do you use the free or paid version? How much better is the paid version, do you think?

Thanks again, too bad you can't give reps on here. :D

8. User picture
    • 09:30:46 PM UTC

Online Armor

Hey Warxas, I use OA Free on my main machine and have done for some time with no problems. It works for me :-)

I like the HIPS protection and ease of use plus its strong defence. The paid version offers slightly more protection with banking Mode etc. Three versions are offered, Free, Premium and ++, which is essentially a security suite.

Comparison:
    http://www.tallemu.com/comparisons.html

I'm happy using the free version with Avast, WinPatrol, mbam and superantispyware :-)

Colin

• User picture
      • Warxas on Wed 15 Jul 2009
      • 01:30:26 AM UTC

Online Armor FTW

I now have Online Armor free thanks again all! I might have ended up with outpost otherwise! :D