(The quickest way to register)

Forum

1. User picture
    • demonluo on Sat 07 Nov 2009
    • 02:07:01 AM UTC

"Any Vista users see a new Windows Update notice, or...?"

hopefully i'm not the only one getting a new GUI or else my pc may be infected or something...

here's my screenshot...
    http://bayimg.com/JaepnaACl

jaepnaacl.jpg

Platinum Level Member of the WOT Community

Comments:

1. User picture
    • c۞g on Sat 07 Nov 2009
    • 02:10:12 AM UTC

Windows...

Version?

-------
    WOT Services Ltd. - gives us safety through Web of Trust.
    WOT Community - gives us security through unity.
    Thank you all
    - G7W

2. User picture
    • 02:19:58 AM UTC

vista 32 bit SP2 HP

vista 32 bit SP2 HP

3. User picture
    • c۞g on Sat 07 Nov 2009
    • 02:14:05 AM UTC

so the question goes...

"Any Vista users see a new Windows Update notice, or...?"
    -------
    WOT Services Ltd. - gives us safety through Web of Trust.
    WOT Community - gives us security through unity.
    Thank you all
    - G7W

4. User picture
    • 02:18:58 AM UTC

^^topic title change...

^^topic title change...

5. User picture
    • osfijwoei390WEFw23sf on Sat 07 Nov 2009
    • 04:43:30 AM UTC

Your screenshot looks

Your screenshot looks practically the same as the Windows Update in my Windows 7 64-bit installation. The new software link underneath the update check times are for Live Essentials and Microsoft Security Essentials. From my end, it looks like you have a clean machine and Microsoft is simply rolling out Windows Update patches for Vista users to make it consistent with Windows 7 users.

6. User picture
    • paul g on Sat 07 Nov 2009
    • 03:52:07 PM UTC

I got it to

Yes mine has a new look too and so do the icons in control panel their smoother with rounded corners..vista 32 bit SP2 HP...

If You Dont Ask You Will Never Know..

7. User picture
    • Athlonite on Sat 07 Nov 2009
    • 04:54:49 PM UTC

Hey Paul !

On my previous Vista install, MS did Update the Windows Update (in the Back Ground meaning, without your knowledge). This will certainly bring out BobJam. LOL !
    This is from my Windows 7 install :
    Photobucket
    I guess you don`t check that part of your PC too often. You probably have the Auto-Update on and never verify if theSecurity Patches have any kind of flaws in them.

Well, mine is set to ``Tell me when you want to patch my system BUT, don`t download until I tell you to``. This way I get to see if there are any surprises that I should be aware of Before they install. I will search for any info. on those patches. The first site I usually go to is ``Woody`s no-bull news``: http://www.askwoody.com/.
    From there he usually has links to other reads that will have info. regarding the latest ``Black Tuesday Patches``. Another site that I will take a look at is :
    http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/default.aspx
    This site is directly from MS and will tell you what`s coming up as far as security patches for the coming month.

If you feel that you would like to read more on this subject, just let me know.

Athlonite.

Your help is always needed.

• User picture
      • BobJam (not verified) on Sun 08 Nov 2009
      • 01:07:07 AM UTC

Yes!

"On my previous Vista install, MS did Update the Windows Update (in the Back Ground meaning, without your knowledge). This will certainly bring out BobJam. LOL !"

Interesting to hear that Microsoft is STILL doing this, or are you talking about automatic updates set to download and install? Or did they sneak one by you (the spyware tactics that pushed me to Linux) with your settings to notify only?

(BTW, working on composing a reply to your PM).

• User picture
        • demonluo on Sun 08 Nov 2009
        • 03:57:49 AM UTC

i set it to "not automatic"

i set it to "not automatic" in windows security centre but they sneak behind my back & download/install the update automatically w/o notify me...

• User picture
        • Athlonite on Mon 09 Nov 2009
        • 02:21:45 PM UTC

Yes, they are !

I always have the Auto-Update to "Notify BUT" !! And yes, they still download AND install. In this case I don't mind because , it seems as it is a new graphical GUI to the old one, maybe an improvement over the other one also. The one I did mind though, was the one that pushed you to Linux. The update to Firefox but, that helps out MS more. In any case, yes it's still a spyware tatic.

Athlonite.

• User picture
      • paul g on Mon 09 Nov 2009
      • 09:25:51 AM UTC

Download but dont install..

Hi,Athlonite.Sorry!!! for late reply my friend ive been away..No i learned about download but dont install here when IE8 was trying to force itself on everyone so i fixed my setting then so i had control of what i wanted so im surprised that this is a sneakey download..Ive checked my settings and there still the same?? So i dont know how this happened......Ahh do you mean in a KB update if so, i do just download if it says important update for windows....

cheers.........p...................

• User picture
        • Athlonite on Mon 09 Nov 2009
        • 02:42:02 PM UTC

Hey Paul !

IF you have your Auto-updates set to "Download" then, you are defeating the purpose to verify before you install. You see, by having MS download those updates, You Already have them on your system. You just might make the mistake of installing them since they are already there. The way most of us do it, is to let MS "Notify" that there are some updates to download and install. Like I said, I like to see what IS downloaded and what are the consequences of some of those updates. This is also why we wait and research what those consequences could be and if there are other patches to be released to patch those patches. Got That.
        But, this is entirely up to you. If you feel comfortable with the way you have it set up then, that fine too. I would , however, suggest that you visit the sites that I have mentioned above so you are aware of what to expect in the coming month.

Athlonite.

• User picture
          • paul g on Mon 09 Nov 2009
          • 05:41:57 PM UTC

Auto-updates

Hi, Athlonite..thanks for clearing that up i think i know what you mean now,Ill take a look at my settings again and them sites........

Thanks for your time.......cheers..........p............

8. User picture
    • Galaxyfox on Sat 07 Nov 2009
    • 09:33:15 PM UTC

Windows Update Agent 7.2

Sometime last month, Windows automatically installs as an "important" update: Windows Update 7.2 which makes Vista look like the Windows 7 Windows Update. Check your Update history for something like Windows Update Agent Version 7.2.

Galaxyfox
    http://www.techairlines.com
    "Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."

• User picture
      • demonluo on Sun 08 Nov 2009
      • 04:20:52 AM UTC

my one is Windows Update

my one is Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226 & the detail say it can automatically update itself (w/o notify me) >:(

here's the update detail...

Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226

Installation date: ‎06/‎11/‎2009 12:13 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

The Windows Update Agent enables your computer to search for and install updates from an update service. The agent can automatically update itself as needed to communicate with the update service when Windows searches for new updates.

More information:
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=118000

Help and Support:
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=117301

9. User picture
    • osfijwoei390WEFw23sf on Sun 08 Nov 2009
    • 05:48:44 AM UTC

I think the all home users

I think the all home users should set Windows Update to automatic and let it do it's thing. I generally trust Windows Update and I don't even mind WGA (The only people that I've heard complain about WGA are the ones who pirate Windows). I've never had anything automatically install that I did not want. With all the millions of Windows users, Microsoft does a good job with Windows Update.

10. User picture
    • jpvip on Tue 10 Nov 2009
    • 01:42:59 AM UTC

Actually,

the Windows Update Agent was updated for ALL versions of Windows currently able to receive updates.

I put out an advisory in early October about it: http://www.helpmyos.com/security-news-and-updates-...

~DragonMaster Jay, malware researcher,
    Admin, helpmyos.com

• User picture
      • Jazspeak on Thu 15 Apr 2010
      • 10:54:02 AM UTC

Promotional Posting

ronpol112 - The posting for "Home Automation" is promotional, which is not a correct use of this forum and could attract the view that you are spamming the forum.

• User picture
      • demonluo on Fri 16 Apr 2010
      • 01:09:40 AM UTC

<_<; look like an off-topic

<_<; look like an off-topic post...
      Platinum Level Member of the WOT Community