(The quickest way to register)

Check out our new Mobile App

Forum

1. User picture
    • A440 on Wed 18 Nov 2015
    • 04:14:52 AM UTC

Yahoo.com – Not worthy of a green rating

After reading this today, I really don't think Yahoo deserves its green rating since they have a hand in online gambling:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/18/sports/football/...

This is in addition to their complete failure to address spam complaints, 419-fraud complaints, etc. All complaints sent to them are ignored, with a response that leads no where.

Yahoo is essentially an untrustworthy site and I invite users to rate them accordingly.

Comments:

1. User picture
    • nova7 on Wed 18 Nov 2015
    • 12:33:05 PM UTC

RE: Yahoo.com – Not worthy of a green rating

Rated 2-3/4 years ago for some of the same reasons stated by A440 .

2. User picture
    • A440 on Sat 21 Nov 2015
    • 12:50:34 AM UTC

Ah-hem . . .

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/11/20/yahoo-res...

3. User picture
    • destinationtruth on Sun 22 Nov 2015
    • 08:19:06 PM UTC

Though I agree. . . it will always be green.

_https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/no-winner/

4. User picture
    • A440 on Fri 23 Sep 2016
    • 12:59:22 AM UTC

After two years, now it turns out that Yahoo has had over 500 million accounts breached.
    Yahoo does not deserve a green rating!

www.nytimes.com/2016/09/23/technology/yahoo-hacker...

Please revise your scores for this long-time abuser.

https://www.mywot.com/scorecard/yahoo.com

5. User picture
    • Site-rater on Fri 23 Sep 2016
    • 01:00:35 AM UTC

Originally posted by: A440
    After two years, now it turns out that Yahoo has had over 500 million accounts breached.
    Yahoo does not deserve a green rating!

hxxp://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/23/technology/yahoo-hackers.html

Please revise your scores for this long-time abuser.

https://www.mywot.com/scorecard/yahoo.com

The way the news sounds, it kind of sounds like they were using plaintext passwords.

Is that why I get so much spam that originates from Yahoo Mail?

6. User picture
    • milliem (not verified) on Fri 23 Sep 2016
    • 02:15:37 PM UTC

I've had the .co.uk version of their email for the past twelve years and I have to say I've been very happy with it. However for a long while now I've used an adblocker and now that Verizon are the new owners they may get a bit shirty about that by using anti-ad blocking software. In which case I'll kick them into touch and use another provider.

As for the data breach in 2014, I read about that on probably The Register at the time and changed my password to something long and complicated that even now I can only remember by writing it down on a sheet of paper.

7. User picture
    • Kraftwerk on Fri 23 Sep 2016
    • 03:44:39 PM UTC

About Yahoo hack

You can check here whether your data is involved in data theft or, maby, not..

haveibeenpwned.com

Blueberry Cake Level Member of the WOT Community

8. User picture
    • Super Hero! (not verified) on Fri 23 Sep 2016
    • 04:04:35 PM UTC

Originally posted by: Kraftwerk
    About Yahoo hack

You can check here whether your data is involved in data theft or, maby, not..

haveibeenpwned.com

Thanks for such a good tool
    As much as I dislike cloud flare,in this one I make an exception ............. is that good!
    Cheers, my friend :))
    edit -
    @A440 =
    Yahoo is being crumbling to pieces for years and I agree with you that is not deserving a full green, but expect more news that deal with the worst offender FB and most social media
    The mantra about keeping the password strong and constantly changes it, is a good one even for Yahoo, what I cannot understand is the idea of using searchable information as real name, telephone numbers etc. does not make sense, I never gave them that much to anyone, but as I said before expect more news
    As Millien, I have been using addblockers
    BTW, I removed a previous post because it was too short, but I agree with your point
  9. User picture
    • NotBuyingIt on Sat 24 Sep 2016
    • 02:09:03 AM UTC

Reportedly, the compromised Yahoo accounts include not only its email service, but also its other services including Tumblr and Flickr. Hackers know that some people tend to use the same password for all of their accounts. People who have used the same password for both Yahoo and their financial accounts should seriously consider password changes for those other accounts, too.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/23/technology/yahoo-account-hack/index.html

For some perspective, see the 2014 article regarding the Heartbleed bug
    http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/10/technology/security/heartbleed-passwords/index.html

Data that is stored in the cloud may become lost in the fog.

10. User picture
    • A440 on Tue 04 Oct 2016
    • 07:56:02 PM UTC

Here is yet another reason Yahoo.com is rated too highly.
    Yahoo secretly monitored emails on behalf of the US government
    www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/04/yahoo-s...

Yahoo last year secretly built a custom software program to search all of its customers’ incoming emails for specific information provided by US intelligence officials, sources have told Reuters. . . .Sources said the program was discovered by Yahoo’s security team in May 2015, within weeks of its installation. The security team initially thought hackers had broken in.

When Stamos found out that Mayer had authorized the program, he resigned as chief information security officer and told his subordinates that he had been left out of a decision that hurt users’ security, the sources said. Due to a programming flaw, he told them hackers could have accessed the stored emails.

How many more reasons do raters need to judge them accordingly?

11. User picture
    • Super Hero! (not verified) on Thu 06 Oct 2016
    • 03:17:04 AM UTC

Originally posted by: A440
    Here is yet another reason Yahoo.com is rated too highly.
    Yahoo secretly monitored emails on behalf of the US government
    www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/04/yahoo-s...

How many more reasons do raters need to judge them accordingly?

Do you remember?
    In September 2005, Reporters Without Borders reported the following story. In April 2005, Shi Tao, a journalist working for a Chinese newspaper, was sentenced to 10 years in prison by the Changsha Intermediate People's Court of Hunan Province, China (First trial case no. 29), for "providing state secrets to foreign entities". The "secrets" were a brief list of censorship orders he sent from a Yahoo! Mail account to the Asia Democracy Forum before the anniversary of the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989.[10]
    =https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Yahoo!
    And now this!
    Our present government has acted in an undemocratic way and is eroding our rights to the constitution, the law of the land, if we don't wake up now, we never will and they criticize other nations for what they are guilty of
    Thank you!
    I would appreciate any suggestions to alternative email servers

12. User picture
    • A440 on Wed 04 Oct 2017
    • 06:19:59 AM UTC

Here is the final nail in the coffin for Yahoo's completely unwarranted green rating:

nytimes.com/2017/10/03/technology/yahoo-hack-3-billion-users.html

Verizon Communications, which acquired Yahoo this year, said on Tuesday that a previously disclosed attack that had occurred in 2013 affected all three billion of Yahoo’s user accounts.
    Last year, Yahoo said the 2013 attack on its network had affected one billion accounts. Three months before that, the company also disclosed a separate attack, which had occurred in 2014, that had affected 500 million accounts.

If inflated ratings for sites like yahoo or Equifax persist (whose terrible records are now legendary) then I could only think that WOT ratings are a waste of time since they are not really very accurate.