(The quickest way to register)

Check out our new Mobile App

Forum

1. User picture
    • MyWOT Team on Sun 06 Nov 2016
    • 10:08:38 PM UTC

To the WOT community

Dear users,

Thank you for your patience. We apologize for our delayed public reply and any anxiety this incident has caused. It has taken us some time to understand what has happened and how best to ensure we protect our users.

We take our obligations to you very seriously. While we deployed great effort to remove any data that could be used to identify individual users, it appears that in some cases such identification remained possible, albeit for what may be a very small number of WOT users.

Of course, if the data allows the identification of even a small number of WOT users, we consider that unacceptable, and will be taking immediate measures to address this matter urgently as part of a full security assessment and review.

Additionally, after Mozilla notified us that they were removing the WOT add-on from their store (pending responses to a set of questions / proposed changes they sent to us), we voluntarily removed the WOT add-on from all other platforms, including the Chrome store, in order to resolve this matter properly and comprehensively.

To that end, we are taking the following steps:

• Reviewing our privacy policy to determine which changes need to be made in order to enhance and ensure that our users privacy rights are properly addressed.
    • For the user browsing data used to enable WOT’s website reputation service, we intend to provide users the ability to opt-out from having such data saved in our database or shared. This opt-out will be available from the settings menu, as we want to provide each user with a clear choice at all times.
    • For people who agree to let us use their browsing data in order to support WOT, we will implement a complete overhaul of our data ‘cleaning’ process, to optimize our data anonymization and aggregation objectives to minimize any risk of exposure for our users.

We will spend the coming weeks making the changes to WOT which will ensure we are back on the right track. You, our community of users are the real power behind WOT and we will continue serving you as such.

Yours,

--- MyWOT Team

Comments:

1. User picture
    • peace100 on Sun 06 Nov 2016
    • 11:55:16 PM UTC

RE: To the WOT community

So you really want to tell us that you created a system which can anonymize millions of URLs? Please upload this to github.com so everyone can see what you did there...

You sold/sell URLs including query strings. Why should we trust you?

Are you even aware of the effects of your acting?
    Do you know what can happen if someone unauthorized gets access to the data?
    Didn't you heard about the suicides after the hack of ashley madison?

2. User picture
    • destinationtruth on Mon 07 Nov 2016
    • 12:02:33 AM UTC

Open your whois would be a good start.
    In 2015, WOT Services officially changed its name to TOW Software, and finally ceased operations in June 2016. While the service still operates. Just who in the hell Owns WoT!

How can we trust you when you don't trust us with this information.

_https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/no-winner/

3. User picture
    • Jtaylor83 on Mon 07 Nov 2016
    • 05:14:11 AM UTC

Originally posted by: destinationtruth
    Open your whois would be a good start.
    In 2015, WOT Services officially changed its name to TOW Software, and finally ceased operations in June 2016. While the service still operates. Just who in the hell Owns WoT!

How can we trust you when you don't trust us with this information.

Unreliable source added to Wikipedia article.

4. User picture
    • MysteryFCM on Mon 07 Nov 2016
    • 05:32:19 AM UTC

To my mind, there's two immediate things that need to be done here;

1. Publicly disclose whether such information is being shared/sold to third parties, and if so - who and what (data)
    2. Publish the *current* code to the GitHub repo (failure to do this will not appease those that have (for obvious reasons) taken this recent issue so personally

The issue of user privacy disclosure, whether accidental or otherwise, is wholly unacceptable, and understandably, both users and the wider security community are taking this extremely seriously.

As far as the stats code itself, this must be limited only to the data needed, and such disclosed extremely clearly, to users of the software (and discard Base64 encoding, it's not even close to secure ;) ).

With regard to this;

"For the user browsing data used to enable WOT’s website reputation service, we intend to provide users the ability to opt-out from having such data saved in our database or shared. This opt-out will be available from the settings menu, as we want to provide each user with a clear choice at all times."

I'd strongly urge it be opt-in, not opt-out (anything opt-out always goes against both the ethos of protecting users, and *always* ends badly, given most Joe Average users, don't check the settings etc of software to begin with, let alone the EULA' that go with them).

Regards Steven Burn I.T. Mate / hpHosts it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

5. User picture
    • Dareks67 on Mon 07 Nov 2016
    • 12:02:19 PM UTC

I was a user WOT from 2011 until today. I uninstalled this add-on.
    With curiosity I expect, until this matter is cleared up completely.

"There are thousands of ways to kill time, but no one knows how to revive him." Albert Einstein

6. User picture
    • Sioban44 on Mon 07 Nov 2016
    • 01:19:48 PM UTC

Not a good thing.
    You've just lost trust. You know, the thing you've been relying on ?

7. User picture
    • Dynamoo on Mon 07 Nov 2016
    • 06:48:32 PM UTC

Actually the Finnish register of companies DOES say that WOT Services Oy changed name to to TOW Software Oy in February 2016, but that the company has also been in liquidation since June 2016. The Business ID remains the same, so it is the exact same business. Whether or not TOW is actually currently the owner of WOT is unclear from that data

hxxps://tietopalvelu.ytj.fi/yritystiedot.aspx?yavain=1998957&tarkiste=AF057A9D1864600E8029A4E3E180046A0FB5F746

8. User picture
    • 08:49:47 PM UTC

If you're worried about your privacy, don't use the internet.

Facebook, Google, Twitter, Yahoo, Bing and other websites give away your data to third parties.

9. User picture
    • 08:57:11 PM UTC

Originally posted by: Dynamoo
    Actually the Finnish register of companies DOES say that WOT Services Oy changed name to to TOW Software Oy in February 2016, but that the company has also been in liquidation since June 2016. The Business ID remains the same, so it is the exact same business. Whether or not TOW is actually currently the owner of WOT is unclear from that data

hxxps://tietopalvelu.ytj.fi/yritystiedot.aspx?yavain=1998957&tarkiste=AF057A9D1864600E8029A4E3E180046A0FB5F746

Read my comment. That source is unreliable, it was removed from Wikipedia.

10. User picture
    • shazza on Mon 07 Nov 2016
    • 09:32:14 PM UTC

Originally posted by: Jtaylor83
    Read my comment. That source is unreliable, it was removed from Wikipedia.

See hxxps://fi.linkedin.com/in/anttipekkanen (WoT CEO until recently)
    hxxp://repdigger.com/reviews/tow-software-oy
  11. User picture
    • Unbiased on Mon 07 Nov 2016
    • 10:01:37 PM UTC

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:BFeely#top (?)

virre.prh.fi/novus/companySearch -

Against Intuition Oy - start date - 10.07.2006
    WOT Services Oy - start date - 09.07.2009
    TOW Software Oy - start date - 18.02.2016

Liquidation - 02.09.2016

12. User picture
    • destinationtruth on Mon 07 Nov 2016
    • 10:27:02 PM UTC

Unreliable source added to Wikipedia article.

Besides the Wikipedia article, my sources are good enough; if you say they aren't then state what you believe. The other option is stay clear of me and my posts. Hows that for an attitude returned.

_https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/no-winner/

13. User picture
    • wandrer on Tue 08 Nov 2016
    • 07:03:28 PM UTC

Is it true, as the Hacker News website claims, that you have sold user data:

hxxp://thehackernews.com/2016/11/web-of-trust-addon.html

Your terms of service say:

PRIVACY

We are committed to the protection of privacy of our users, therefore we handle and store user data solely for the purpose of: (i) providing and enabling the Service; or (ii) Registration.

which means that you have no right to do that.

14. User picture
    • 07:10:09 PM UTC

Facebook, Google, Twitter, Yahoo, Bing and other websites give away your data to third parties.

and their terms of service say that they do that, so most people are aware of it.
    WOT's terms of service claim they do not do that.

15. User picture
    • Site-rater on Tue 08 Nov 2016
    • 07:16:50 PM UTC

Originally posted by: wandrer
    Is it true, as the Hacker News website claims, that you have sold user data:

hxxp://thehackernews.com/2016/11/web-of-trust-addon.html

Your terms of service say:

which means that you have no right to do that.

My own domains' privacy policies clearly state I do not share any non-public information except for abuse/spam or legal reasons, and the latter one has never come up, more than likely due to vigilant moderation.
    I would never stab my visitors in the back.

I don't even run any analytics packages currently, though I may install Piwik, as it doesn't transmit any browsing data to third parties.

16. User picture
    • shazza (Moderator) on Tue 08 Nov 2016
    • 07:24:39 PM UTC

@ wandrer

Please edit the live link in your post as per forum guidelines.
    See https://www.mywot.com/guidelines/forum-guidelin...

17. User picture
    • 08:02:29 PM UTC

RE: @ wandrer

Originally posted by: shazza
    Please edit the live link in your post as per forum guidelines.
    See https://www.mywot.com/guidelines/forum-guidelin...

Done

But why, after over a month, doesn't anyone at WOT answer my question?
    You have issued a half baked apology, but do not bother to say what you are claiming to be sorry about.

18. User picture
    • MrSnowball on Wed 09 Nov 2016
    • 11:28:41 AM UTC

Today, after almost 7 years of constant use, I uninstall WoT. Not only because of the outrageous fact that you've sold user data without even making it properly anonymous, but also because there seem to be almost no transparency. Non of your social media accounts have informed the users about what have happened, I had to read about it in a small news article and I tell you, that was not a fun experience.

It will take much more than an excuse to regain the trust you've thrown away.

19. User picture
    • Site-rater on Wed 09 Nov 2016
    • 01:26:13 PM UTC

It appears they just pulled the Android app too.

20. User picture
    • almarma on Wed 09 Nov 2016
    • 03:35:12 PM UTC

The only way in my opinion to save this site is:

- To explain all is going on here, with THE TRUTH.
    - TO APOLOGIZE to all of us. Companies forget about this part quite often. Users don't.
    - Measures from now on to avoid this happening again. Ever.

Otherwise WOT is doomed. If it isn't already. How can a web called "web of TRUST" has been able to screw it so badly?

21. User picture
    • TNTC4 on Wed 09 Nov 2016
    • 09:08:43 PM UTC

I trust you WoT, but now I hate you !

22. User picture
    • baba421 on Wed 09 Nov 2016
    • 11:20:55 PM UTC

Why do you keep on removing my negative reviews for mywot.com on wot though???????

23. User picture
    • NotBuyingIt (Moderator) on Thu 10 Nov 2016
    • 01:28:15 AM UTC

Originally posted by: baba421
    Why do you keep on removing my negative reviews for mywot.com on wot though???????

@baba421, Welcome to the WOT users' community forums.

You began a "duplicate" or redundant thread, which violates the WOT forum guidelines causing it to be removed. Before your posted your question, another forum moderator already informed you via PM to use this thread, instead, for your forum comment or "review"; (but you haven't done that).
    https://www.mywot.com/user/7850550/board/comment-2...

Your scorecard review was not removed, in fact. You can locate it at
    https://www.mywot.com/user/7850550/comments

Before you post again, please carefully review all of the guidelines, the FAQs and the Wiki.
    https://www.mywot.com//guidelines/forum-guidelines
    https://www.mywot.com/faq
    https://www.mywot.com/wiki/Main_Page

When you post a comment in a forum thread, you will need to stay on topic. You may contact the forum moderators by PM if the guidelines, the FAQs and the Wiki don't answer your question (above).

Data that is stored in the cloud may become lost in the fog.

24. User picture
    • milliem (not verified) on Thu 10 Nov 2016
    • 02:36:10 AM UTC

The NoScript short cuts to website Scorecards have now been removed.

hxxps://forums.informaction.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22237

For me, I'll give the Web of Trust owners another week to sort out this horrendous situation and provide solutions which will sufficiently protect its users' privacy. I find it very sad though that the very people who make Web of Trust work - the members - are being monetised by a bunch of avaricious scumbags who wouldn't recognise integrity if it came up and shook them by the hand

25. User picture
    • milliem (not verified) on Thu 10 Nov 2016
    • 02:41:47 AM UTC

While you are at it, you might want to put something about this issue on your press release page which, incidentally, hasn't been updated for three years.

https://www.mywot.com/press

26. User picture
    • Sideroxylon on Thu 10 Nov 2016
    • 05:57:24 AM UTC

I trusted 'Web of TRUST' for years and now this! I am greatly disappointed... You didn't even bother to notify the average user in any way... SHAME ON YOU.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

27. User picture
    • awcsdt on Thu 10 Nov 2016
    • 01:32:12 PM UTC

Shouldn't the WOT site rating be dropped? I think it should be a RED not a highly trusted rating but then, they would never change their own rating now would they?

28. User picture
    • datapod on Fri 11 Nov 2016
    • 01:40:38 PM UTC

If you're worried about your privacy, don't use the internet.

That's akin to saying if you're worried about eye damage don't open your eyes.

The Internet, like it or not is integral to modern life/business. Pretty much every aspect of our society now relies on it from banking to business to the power that heats our homes. Some aspects of it need to be private and secure.

29. User picture
    • Vednier on Sat 12 Nov 2016
    • 03:17:22 AM UTC

Not surprised

So, basically you agree with that you have used private data in some shady way? And if you regretting anything, you only regret that its all now revealed.

Anyway. i'm not surprised. During years i have asked myself "They getting tons of data, hundreds and hundreds URL sequences everyday, do they really keep them protected?". No, they dont. I guess only happy peoples now is scammers, since WoT was pain in their asses for years (i know, i have seen their whining on certain forums).
    Still hope it will be sorted out.

30. User picture
    • ekolis on Sat 12 Nov 2016
    • 06:37:57 PM UTC

I would uninstall the plugin now, but it is useful, and it might never come back... let's see how things go...

This post requires a WOT Xentronium badge level to view. Congratulations! You are a member of the 0.00001%!