(The quickest way to register)

Check out our new Mobile App

Forum

1. User picture
    • MyWOT Team on Sun 06 Nov 2016
    • 10:08:38 PM UTC

To the WOT community

Dear users,

Thank you for your patience. We apologize for our delayed public reply and any anxiety this incident has caused. It has taken us some time to understand what has happened and how best to ensure we protect our users.

We take our obligations to you very seriously. While we deployed great effort to remove any data that could be used to identify individual users, it appears that in some cases such identification remained possible, albeit for what may be a very small number of WOT users.

Of course, if the data allows the identification of even a small number of WOT users, we consider that unacceptable, and will be taking immediate measures to address this matter urgently as part of a full security assessment and review.

Additionally, after Mozilla notified us that they were removing the WOT add-on from their store (pending responses to a set of questions / proposed changes they sent to us), we voluntarily removed the WOT add-on from all other platforms, including the Chrome store, in order to resolve this matter properly and comprehensively.

To that end, we are taking the following steps:

• Reviewing our privacy policy to determine which changes need to be made in order to enhance and ensure that our users privacy rights are properly addressed.
    • For the user browsing data used to enable WOT’s website reputation service, we intend to provide users the ability to opt-out from having such data saved in our database or shared. This opt-out will be available from the settings menu, as we want to provide each user with a clear choice at all times.
    • For people who agree to let us use their browsing data in order to support WOT, we will implement a complete overhaul of our data ‘cleaning’ process, to optimize our data anonymization and aggregation objectives to minimize any risk of exposure for our users.

We will spend the coming weeks making the changes to WOT which will ensure we are back on the right track. You, our community of users are the real power behind WOT and we will continue serving you as such.

Yours,

--- MyWOT Team

Comments:

1. User picture
    • Site-rater on Sat 12 Nov 2016
    • 06:54:37 PM UTC

RE: To the WOT community

Originally posted by: ekolis
    I would uninstall the plugin now, but it is useful, and it might never come back... let's see how things go...

Too bad nobody hasn't forked the last open source version and created a "clean" version. I do believe the old source code is still compatible with the current WOT system; the IE add on is quite outdated.

2. User picture
    • ПАВЕЛ БЕЛАРУС on Mon 14 Nov 2016
    • 08:10:21 PM UTC

Good evening. I'd like to know when you start to listen to site owners. You feed the trolls and trade sensitive information. I am pleased to observe MYWOT fall!

3. User picture
    • Site-rater on Mon 14 Nov 2016
    • 09:00:52 PM UTC

What's with the 6 Windows servers 2012 R2 servers now being run on the secure.mywot.com domain?
    Were these the servers gathering the data from the add-on?
    My understanding is that the add-on does not use that domain to retrieve ratings, but instead the api.mywot.com domain which seems to only have 2 servers (not sure if they are bigger though or are loadbalancers that do little computation) attached to it.

4. User picture
    • Dynamoo on Wed 16 Nov 2016
    • 11:35:14 PM UTC

I notice that it has all gone quiet from WOT at the moment. Some looking around finds this Finnish article that might be of interest - hxxps://svenska.yle.fi/artikel/2016/11/15/salde-finlandskt-it-foretag-data-om-folks-surfvanor-dataombudsmannen-vill-att - which roughly translates as:

If you use Web of Trust (WOT), a popular addition to the browser, your surfing habits have leaked. The Finnish company behind the product is suspected of secretly selling on user information.

In browsers such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, there are often different so-called extensions that you can add to your Web browser to even browsing should be better and smoother.

Several companies that manufacture browser extensions under the German program Panorama on television channel NDR sold on millions of users' surfing habits, bad anonymized so that individual users can be recognized.

This kind of information can be very valuable for advertisers, because the websites a person surfing on says a lot about what he or she likes.

One of the companies singled out is the Finnish company WOT Services, located behind the product Web of Trust , a browser extension that will help the user to understand how reliable the sites he or she visits are.

The extension is downloaded more than 140 million times.

The Finnish Data Protection Ombudsman Reijo Aarnio says to Yle News that he has received information from the German authorities that the Web of Trust may have leaked badly anonymized user data to external actors, and that he will pass on the case to the police investigation.

It will be next up to the police to decide whether to launch an investigation or not.

Yle News also asked WOT Services for a comment, but we are not yet at this stage received a reply to our request.

Personally, I believe that if this has happened then it's more of a cock-up than a conspiracy, and that whoever authorised the selling of the data didn't realise that it might be possible to identify individuals from it. And I can personally attest that in the past WOT has stood very firmly by its users when they have been threatened for the contributions they have made here.

As far as I can tell the current legal status is this (according to the Finnish companies register) - WOT Services Oy became TOW Software Oy in February of this year. In June that same company went into liquidation and in August the contact address changed to a firm of lawyers called Lindfors & Co in Helsinki. Another other information is very hard to come by. I should imagine at the moment that the owners of WOT are not saying anything else until they can get clearance from the lawyers.

It's a very sad state of affairs. I do hope that it can somehow be resolved.

5. User picture
    • Myxt on Thu 17 Nov 2016
    • 10:23:30 AM UTC

Originally posted by: Site-rater
    Too bad nobody hasn't forked the last open source version and created a "clean" version.

Or maybe they did, and created unclean versions. On a whim, I Googled> download WOT browser add-on site:*.de

Found: _http://www.chip.de/downloads/WOT-fuer-Firefox_32481235.html
    which currently warns: "(blah) Until the situation is clarified, we are no longer offering the extension for download."

OK then, what were they offering?
    _https://web.archive.org/web/20160614194308/http://www.chip.de/downloads/WOT-fuer-Firefox_32481235.html
    available via the convenient "Safe Chip Installer" (!)

Elsewhere:
    _http://www.maxthon.com/mac/ext/   (download a .CRX 2/3 down the page)
    _http://www.crx4chrome.com/extensions/bhmmomiinigofkjcapegjjndpbikblnp/   (download a .CRX)

And this is curious: _http://www.esumsoft.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=6136

Among developers, piracy and malicious mods are arguments against open source.

6. User picture
    • Dark-Matter on Thu 17 Nov 2016
    • 02:39:14 PM UTC

I have disabled the WOT extension in all my browsers and rated https://www.mywot.com/scorecard/mywot.com#rate as unsafe! Used to really like/recommend this plug in.

Trust is like an orchid, beautiful but delicate, requiring ideal conditions in order to thrive. Without them, it dies.

Web Of Trust Browser Add-On Blasted For Breaking User Trust

hxxp://www.forbes.com/sites/leemathews/2016/11/07/web-of-trust-browser-add-on-blasted-for-breaking-user-trust/#5826c406651f

"How serious a transgression is this? Serious enough that Mozilla has already removed the WOT browser add-on from their site saying that it violated their guidelines for transparency. Numerous WOT users have expressed their outrage on Reddit and commented on articles discussing the NDR findings.

Many feel violated and have uninstalled the WOT add-on from their browsers. Understandably, they’ve gone looking for alternatives. Many have turned to a similar tool called Traffic Light offered by BitDefender, a Romanian security firm."

7. User picture
    • Cheater87 on Sat 19 Nov 2016
    • 01:27:12 PM UTC

When is WOT coming back? I am using the MCafee site rater atm. Don't like it as much but it is one of the few website rating service I found that I am comfortable with using.

8. User picture
    • Javelina on Fri 25 Nov 2016
    • 03:15:40 PM UTC

Would WOT please say who owns and operates this company? Putting aside the issue of selling inadequately anonymized user data for the moment, I really need to know who runs WOT, in order to have any kind of comfort about using the add-on. This isn't an unreasonable request!

9. User picture
    • maquis44 on Sun 27 Nov 2016
    • 05:20:19 PM UTC

User since 2009. I am uninstalling the add-on and deleting my account after this post. WOT, in my opinion, is dishonest. Their explanations and remedies fall far short. They should have stated that they will not share or sell any information until they can guarantee your privacy. I am sorry they succumbed to greed.

Bytes Computer Services, LLC

10. User picture
    • Dynamoo on Sun 27 Nov 2016
    • 06:31:03 PM UTC

More information from the Finnish media here - hxxp://www.kaleva.fi/uutiset/kotimaa/palkittua-verkkopalvelua-epaillaan-tietojen-vuotamisesta-poliisille-selvityspyynto/744645/ - the following is a poor translation which may include some inaccuracies:

Award-winning web service is suspected of leaking information - to the police for clarification

11.25.2016 20:11
    Johanna Puukka

The Office of the Data Protection Ombudsman has asked the police to investigate the operations of the Web of Trust web service. [Technical description]

The service indicates a safe site with the green icon, a dangerous one with a red one. The data is produced by users of the service working together.

- The German Data Protection Authority announced that the service is suspected of transfer of users' personal data to external operators. Personal identification data is suspected of being insufficiently anonymized, says the Data Protection Ombudsman Reijo Aarnio to media.

The first hints of problems came from German media problems according to Aarnio.

Aarnio says that he came up to police to ask for clarification, because the Office of the Data Protection Ombudsman office administrative instruments were no longer sufficient.

- The company is in liquidation, and in the background the company name has changed. Our means to deal with this legal situation are insufficient, he adds.

Aarnio advises users to be careful with the operation.

[technical background]

Background Web of Trust was a Finnish security company WOT Services Ltd, which ended as at February 2016. The name was changed TOW Software Oy.

- The company in liquidation is shut down and no longer functioning, says Lawyer Law Firm Lindfors Antti Summa & Co Reviews.

This company did not comment on web service and its activities. WOT did not respond to media interview requests.

[background information]

11. User picture
    • destinationtruth on Sun 27 Nov 2016
    • 08:29:13 PM UTC

Originally posted by: Javelina
    Would WOT please say who owns and operates this company? Putting aside the issue of selling inadequately anonymized user data for the moment, I really need to know who runs WOT, in order to have any kind of comfort about using the add-on. This isn't an unreasonable request!

Since no one wants to claim ownership I have decided to claim WoT under international salvage law.
    In my first 100 days I will build a wall. We will no longer admit idiots, trolls, or Republicans within our borders / domain. Next we will appoint a special prosecutor to throw "Crooked WoT" in jail. . . feel free to chant this.
    Next. . .

BTW: Those that want to claim that the "international salvage law" does not apply here; all I can say, "it looks like a sunken ship to me."

............Tattered Wings and a Tarnished Halo...........

12. User picture
    • Dynamoo on Sun 27 Nov 2016
    • 11:10:30 PM UTC

Originally posted by: destinationtruth
    Since no one wants to claim ownership I have decided to claim WoT under international salvage law.>

The domain expires next August. It could be up for salvage in about ten months time..

13. User picture
    • Grumpy Old Git on Tue 29 Nov 2016
    • 12:10:58 PM UTC

The silence is deafening.I have used WOT since 2008,seen people come and go,myself included.But saying nothing will not cut it.It would be a shame if such a useful add on goes to the wall.

14. User picture
    • fusionneur on Wed 07 Dec 2016
    • 12:15:26 PM UTC

I would sue these guys...

15. User picture
    • Ivan Blue on Mon 12 Dec 2016
    • 02:44:37 PM UTC

Wait, can someone DM me the news article on this incident ? I want to see the full picture here.

▬▬▬♛▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬♛▬▬▬ ▧ Live Laugh Love & ▧ 〠 ♫ Enjoy The Music ☺ 〠 ▬▬▬✰▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬✰▬▬▬▬

16. User picture
    • sbi on Thu 15 Dec 2016
    • 06:20:04 AM UTC

Originally posted by: maquis44
    User since 2009. I am uninstalling the add-on and deleting my account after this post. WOT, in my opinion, is dishonest. Their explanations and remedies fall far short. They should have stated that they will not share or sell any information until they can guarantee your privacy. I am sorry they succumbed to greed.

Were you able to delete your account. I tried to do so but I kept getting an error message about incorrect credentials but i was able to move about and make other changes to my MYWOT account??

Thanks

17. User picture
    • Lyle.S1234567 on Thu 15 Dec 2016
    • 04:48:19 PM UTC

I just want to pitch in a couple of pennies worth here: WOT is a valuable service. A subscription model would never work. An advertising model would offend the user base. Only a data collection/sales model provides a viable method for funding the service. Understanding that AND the fact that our ISP's, web-site operators, and major network operators collect and sell our use data to offset costs makes it clear that without WOT there are already several ways to identify users and their on-line activities. I give a fig that WoT failed to hide PII data properly. I just want a place to download the product and install it on newly configured systems. That having been said, I have copied and installed current installs to new machines in the interrum, but it sure would be nice if WoT would offer a place to directly download their software.

18. User picture
    • Site-rater on Fri 16 Dec 2016
    • 12:14:33 AM UTC

Originally posted by: Lyle.S1234567
    I just want to pitch in a couple of pennies worth here: WOT is a valuable service. A subscription model would never work. An advertising model would offend the user base. Only a data collection/sales model provides a viable method for funding the service. Understanding that AND the fact that our ISP's, web-site operators, and major network operators collect and sell our use data to offset costs makes it clear that without WOT there are already several ways to identify users and their on-line activities. I give a fig that WoT failed to hide PII data properly. I just want a place to download the product and install it on newly configured systems. That having been said, I have copied and installed current installs to new machines in the interrum, but it sure would be nice if WoT would offer a place to directly download their software.

Previously, WOT had two major revenue streams:
    Sales of access to the reputation data via bulk API access.
    Sales of "trust seals" (discontinued).

Then there was an experiment that never took off for a "freemium" version of WOT - https://www.mywot.com/forum/45536-WOT-freemium

Personally, I do not have enough evidence to blame WOT for anything, but I do have plenty of evidence against a partner known as SimilarWeb for collecting a profile of the domains I visited, including some related to some sensitive personal issues, and posted some of those in the "Also visited websites" section, although today the report no longer contains any sensitive domains. If this is because of WOT data collection, it would make sense as I had blocked on my LAN the secure.mywot.com domain.

19. User picture
    • SylvioHaas on Sun 18 Dec 2016
    • 02:21:55 AM UTC

How are you going to notify potential users that WOT returned to normality and can be downloaded again? Thank you.

20. User picture
    • Hazerlook on Mon 19 Dec 2016
    • 01:45:38 PM UTC

Пару минут назад WOT снова стал доступен в магазине Google Chrome
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/wot-web-...

21. User picture
    • Самаритянин on Mon 19 Dec 2016
    • 03:46:26 PM UTC

Originally posted by: Hazerlook
    Пару минут назад WOT снова стал доступен в магазине Google Chrome
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/wot-web-...

Только почему то не работает.

22. User picture
    • Hazerlook on Mon 19 Dec 2016
    • 03:56:34 PM UTC

Originally posted by: Самаритянин
    Только почему то не работает.

Хм.. Не знаю.. Может быть попробуйте браузер перезагрузить.
    У меня отлично работает, как и раньше.

В настройках появилась новая опция:
    _http://images.vfl.ru/ii/1482162960/1e968d61/15388610.jpg

23. User picture
    • Самаритянин on Mon 19 Dec 2016
    • 04:08:46 PM UTC

Originally posted by: Hazerlook
    Хм.. Не знаю.. Может быть попробуйте браузер перезагрузить.
    У меня отлично работает, как и раньше.

В настройках появилась новая опция:
    xhttp://images.vfl.ru/ii/1482162960/1e968d61/15388610.jpg

Сделайте ссылку не активной.

У меня почему то пишет нет оценок
    https://gyazo.com/daef0ed46f17d5f9982f2cfc5b5b6f4d

24. User picture
    • Satchman on Sun 15 Jan 2017
    • 02:56:01 PM UTC

Originally posted by: ekolis
    I would uninstall the plugin now, but it is useful, and it might never come back... let's see how things go...

I am confused,

I have the latest version of My WOT on Firefox in Windows 8.1 and 10 and WOT works fine. Is this only for new downloads where the link was removed because of a possible security breach? (Latest version of Firefox on both systems.)

Will an old version of My WOT saved in a users' downloads folder successfully install on Firefox or Chrome until this is resolved?

Thanks.

Satch

25. User picture
    • Dutch Mountain on Sun 15 Jan 2017
    • 07:13:27 PM UTC

Originally posted by: Satchman
    I am confused,

I have the latest version of My WOT on Firefox in Windows 8.1 and 10 and WOT works fine. Is this only for new downloads where the link was removed because of a possible security breach? (Latest version of Firefox on both systems.)

Will an old version of My WOT saved in a users' downloads folder successfully install on Firefox or Chrome until this is resolved?

Thanks.

Satch

@ Satch
    Same subject in another thread : https://www.mywot.com/forum/70476-user-update-f...

peterswebsafety.com ( link on my profile page ).

26. User picture
    • Go-Green on Wed 25 Jan 2017
    • 03:41:19 PM UTC

Does not seem like a voluntary removal to me.

hxxps://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1314332

When all the problems are resolved, I may consider coming back. You should just hope that no one makes a replacement add-on while you are blacklisted.

This is my Signature.

27. User picture
    • jackeds37 on Wed 25 Jan 2017
    • 11:16:08 PM UTC

Originally posted by: milliem
    The NoScript short cuts to website Scorecards have now been removed.

hxxps://forums.informaction.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22237

. . . And now, I finally know why. BTW, the other Web safety sites available through NoScript have dropped WOT in the last week or so.

--jackeds37

28. User picture
    • redblade7 on Wed 01 Mar 2017
    • 01:47:45 AM UTC

Originally posted by: Dareks67
    I was a user WOT from 2011 until today. I uninstalled this add-on.
    With curiosity I expect, until this matter is cleared up completely.

I never installed the WOT addon, always felt the Web site was more useful while the WOT addon is a dangerous idea (checking every site you go to, unlike anti-phishing protection in browsers, which only downloads a blacklist at the beginning). I expected that this was already happening.

On the other hand, if you think about it, the "infinite scorecards bug" (example.com, example.com/news.html, example.com/wp-admin/malware.php having three separate scorecards) has not been fixed since the site redesign years ago. Given the amount of years the front page has been broken, do you think this bug is instead a "feature" used to add lookups to the logged/sold data?

EDIT: I was one of the beta testers of the mobile app before it was released. However, my "testing" was just looking up and rating sites. I never used it in combination with a browser, as I think it required Chrome while I use Firefox Mobile.

"While corporations dominate society and write the laws, each advance in technology is an opening for them to further restrict its users." -Richard M. Stallman

29. User picture
    • VampsvZombies on Fri 31 Mar 2017
    • 08:09:26 PM UTC

I had only just installed the plugin, I have just uninstalled it.