(The quickest way to register)

Forum

1. User picture
    • AlphaCentauri on Sun 22 Aug 2010
    • 10:15:23 AM UTC

CAPTCHA

Okay, CAPTCHAs are officially out of hand.

I just got a reCAPTCHA when I posted a WOT comment that included this mathematical forumula:

βσ2t-1

Not only did it include Greek characters, the 2 should have been a superscript and the t-1 a subscript. I had to use Microsoft Word to get the beta and sigma to paste it in, as I don't have a Greek keyboard.

Yes, WOT has a wiki. Check there first for fast answers to many questions like "Why is my site rated red, and how do I fix that?"

Comments:

1. User picture
    • IssViews (not verified) on Sun 22 Aug 2010
    • 10:26:04 AM UTC

You could have just

You could have just requested a refresh of the Capatcha and would not have had to go through that pallaver. ;)

2. User picture
    • Sami on Sun 22 Aug 2010
    • 10:49:24 AM UTC

Re: CAPTCHA

It seems reCAPTCHA has turned up the difficulty level recently... :)

Yes, requesting a new one should solve the problem.

• User picture
      • IssViews (not verified) on Sun 22 Aug 2010
      • 11:02:09 AM UTC

Cant say I have seen any of

Cant say I have seen any of these hense my previous comment. I must admit that this too would give me a headache when faced with it. Lets hope the new one does the trick.

• User picture
      • AlphaCentauri on Wed 17 Nov 2010
      • 12:57:46 AM UTC

more information

Perhaps those foreign language CAPTCHAs were part of the test described here
      http://krebsonsecurity.com/2010/11/captchabot-blur...
      in which researchers sought to determine where the CAPTCHA-solving humans were located.

I.E., if you are presented with a Chinese character and can solve the CAPTCHA anyway, you're likely to be in China.

There are a number of services spammers can use that pay poor people a few pennies to solve the CAPTCHAs that automated CAPTCHA solving software fails to solve.

Yes, WOT has a wiki. Check there first for fast answers to many questions like "Why is my site rated red, and how do I fix that?"

3. User picture
    • AlphaCentauri on Sun 22 Aug 2010
    • 12:38:35 PM UTC

It's supposed to have a purpose

The whole idea of reCAPTCHA is that only one of the images is the test. The other is something in a literary source that OCR software is having trouble identifying. Having people who solve CAPTCHAs also help decipher those is useful to digitizing books, especially works whose only hard copies are aging and at risk of being lost. ("Stop spam. Read books.")

If you know which is which, you can enter anything you want for the literary source image and still be able to get credit for solving the entire CAPTCHA. It isn't really necessary to ask for another, as the whole reason the second image is there is that there is no right answer for it yet. But you're potentially poisoning the statistics used for the OCR software. That's why I did go to some trouble to provide an accurate answer. There's examples of how it works here: http://www.google.com/recaptcha/digitizing

If they're going to give examples that use non-English keyboards, they need to find a way to matching it with users using those keyboards. Perhaps they used to and it's gone on the fritz?

• User picture
      • Kraftwerk on Sun 22 Aug 2010
      • 12:43:58 PM UTC

Re:

Not exactly. In fact, both are from books that couldn´t be read. But one is identified, which means that you still can enter something different, like change a letter, and it will work. The other could be neglected. It´s pretty easy to see which one should be entered.

Blueberry Cake Level Member of the WOT Community

4. User picture
    • SuperHero58 on Sun 22 Aug 2010
    • 03:21:11 PM UTC

@ all

Excuse my ignorance , but downloading an online Greek keyboard , could that have helped ?=== if only for a few characters == @ ARGΗ = sorry for leaving with those" flowers " I never imagined , that it would turn so ugly ===== very proud of the way you handled it === you are a great rater == sorry for going off topic for a moment =

• User picture
      • Kraftwerk on Sun 22 Aug 2010
      • 03:22:28 PM UTC

Re:

I don´t think that you have left (if i understood you correctly). And it didn´t went that ugly :o) So there´s no reason to excuse IMO

• User picture
        • SuperHero58 on Mon 23 Aug 2010
        • 12:16:25 AM UTC

I don´t think that you have left

sorry I meant to say about "leaving you with roses " == I read the posts , and I could not understand why OP would not listen , but that is life = b/w ARGH = do you think , that a key board in Greek [ down loaded ] could have resolved the problem of using some words to create a password ? thank you

• User picture
          • Kraftwerk on Mon 23 Aug 2010
          • 10:02:18 AM UTC

Re:

Well..yes.But there are books form everywhere scanned so you would need a keyboard from everywhere. Only for this. Sounds like a bit too much work :o)

I think charmap would help.

5. User picture
    • Nulander on Mon 23 Aug 2010
    • 12:36:57 AM UTC

---

@AlphaCentauri

Consider it just another Anti-Bot check. Who knowing the fact that cannot reproduce such characters, would try to write that two words, instead of simply ask for another couple? ;o)

6. User picture
    • Anonymous on Wed 17 Nov 2010
    • 03:31:59 AM UTC

LoL

WOT should waive captcha's for plantinum members. If WOT can't trust that platinum members aren't bots then.....

7. User picture
    • i☆ on Wed 17 Nov 2010
    • 02:34:05 PM UTC

Re:

I never seem to get CAPTCHAs; do I have to make many comments within a short period of time to be asked for one?

Visit my new site, webdirect.site90.com.