(The quickest way to register)

Check out our new Mobile App

Forum

1. User picture
    • MyWOT Team (Admin) on Mon 22 May 2017
    • 01:20:21 PM UTC

Planned Changes - Community Update

Hi everyone,

As part of our continuous process of improving WOT and its functionality, we would like to introduce you to some of the changes we’re planning both on the frontend and the backend of our website and extension.

As some of you noticed, the first steps included moving the homepage from the old-fashioned Drupal platform to Wordpress for better performance and customizability.

In addition, here are some highlights of the changes planned:

Forum -
    * We’re planning on moving the forum to a new platform soon.

Website -
    * Design facelift.
    * New scorecard with simplified rating flow.
    * Re-organizing the support section

Extension -
    * Will be built on a single platform that will support Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera and Edge.
    * Reducing the number of bugs significantly.
    * Simplified UI (User Interface).
    * Smoother and faster performance.

While we’re working on the changes mentioned above, users might experience minor bugs. We appreciate your understanding and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Kind regards,
    WOT Team

--- MyWOT Team

Comments:

1. User picture
    • Site-rater on Mon 22 May 2017
    • 02:22:27 PM UTC

RE: Planned Changes - Community Update

Will the new extension be open source?
    Will the new site be just as usable on mobile as it is on desktop, or will everything be way too big to fit any content?
    Is the IE extension still removed from download despite not being part of the data collection scandal?
    Will the ratings themselves still be the same?
    Will there be a beta test of these new features?
    Will all forum content be preserved, and all existing links preserved?
    Will there be any technical protections against external links in the forum, i.e. not automatically parsing URLs?

2. User picture
    • redblade7 on Tue 23 May 2017
    • 03:58:32 AM UTC

Oh no not again. What will disappear or break this time?

"While corporations dominate society and write the laws, each advance in technology is an opening for them to further restrict its users." -Richard M. Stallman

3. User picture
    • Satchman on Tue 23 May 2017
    • 07:18:44 AM UTC

Dear WOT,

For the MS Edge platform, will the ratings circles show up in the Cortona search box for Windows 10?

Satch

4. User picture
    • Apollo702 on Tue 23 May 2017
    • 07:45:05 AM UTC

DO NOT break Palemoon support! Firefox is dying and they are phasing out extensions entirely. PM these days is the true Firefox.

5. User picture
    • Satchman on Tue 23 May 2017
    • 08:05:46 AM UTC

Originally posted by: Apollo702
    DO NOT break Palemoon support! Firefox is dying and they are phasing out extensions entirely. PM these days is the true Firefox.

Dying in what way?

I have heard about Pale Moon.

Satch

6. User picture
    • Javelina on Tue 23 May 2017
    • 09:16:15 AM UTC

Will all scorecard content be preserved?

Website -
    * Design facelift.
    * New scorecard with simplified rating flow.

In other words, will the "simplified rating flow" remove any of the current scorecard comments? I hope not, as I find that they add value to WOT as a credible Internet safety resource.

I wish it weren't necessary to make changes, as I like WOT the way it is now. If there is a beta tester program, as for past WOT redesign projects, I would like to participate.

7. User picture
    • Site-rater on Fri 26 May 2017
    • 11:56:20 PM UTC

Is WOT still planning on using similarweb/similartech? While it was removed from the main WOT site, the beta.mywot.com site is still linking to this service in the scorecards.

8. User picture
    • Site-rater on Sat 27 May 2017
    • 06:28:10 PM UTC

Is the new mywot.com homepage (which appears to use WordPress per the source code) part of the new update?
    Will you merge in the blog with the new homepage? I do notice the homepage is not mobile optimized, but if you use the same skin it will stop destroying the top toolbar on mobile devices, which I would consider a plus.

The forum/scorecard login is not taking effect on the homepage. I have to log in manually there; the add-on is not logging me in either and as such it has a "Logout" link.

Seeing as you appear to be changing from Drupal to WordPress, will all forum topics be preserved, or will this be a casualty of these so-called "improvements?" Maybe consider instead upgrading to the new Drupal 8, and trying to compartmentalize your WOT source code to make it easier to perform later upgrades?

Finally, Tor Browser is indicating that the mywot.com homepage is attempting to read canvas data. Are you attempting to use canvas fingerprinting?

9. User picture
    • destinationtruth on Sat 27 May 2017
    • 08:56:53 PM UTC

I have noticed that you are using DoubleClick's remarketing pixels on the home page. I do believe that you may need to add such to your "Privacy Policy" See: _https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549063?hl=en

Though I will let others here offer their opinion if the current policy sufficiently covers such usage. Again I don't believe that it does.

_https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/no-winner/

10. User picture
    • c۞g (Moderator) on Sat 27 May 2017
    • 10:03:31 PM UTC

:/

User profile => My posts

I see my posts.
    They all reside in "Forum"
    The forum name (group) is not displayed
    The forum topic (discussion) is not displayed.
    The link to "my post/reply" (permalink) is no longer displayed.

Also.
    The "last post" icon in the forum index is still broken, has been for quite awhile.

∞ Opto, ergo sum _https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_You_and_I

11. User picture
    • c۞g on Sat 27 May 2017
    • 10:12:17 PM UTC

Originally posted by: Site-rater
    Finally, Tor Browser is indicating that the mywot.com homepage is attempting to read canvas data. Are you attempting to use canvas fingerprinting?

This started back in 2012(?) when the "New forum" was implemented by Timo

_https://3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion/?q=Tor+html5+canvas+warning

∞ Opto, ergo sum _https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_You_and_I

12. User picture
    • Site-rater on Sat 27 May 2017
    • 10:26:30 PM UTC

Do you plan on upgrading the wiki, either to MediaWiki 1.27.3 LTS or to 1.28.2, and possibly reopening edit privileges?

Do you plan on fixing the longstanding bug where sites can only be validated via insecure http and not https? I would think from a development perspective that it should be quite easy to fix.

13. User picture
    • Apollo702 on Sun 28 May 2017
    • 03:43:57 AM UTC

You can block that with Palemoon. It also can be possible to add or extend this capability through extensions- including some that would work through Tor.

14. User picture
    • NotBuyingIt on Sun 28 May 2017
    • 01:39:26 PM UTC

Originally posted by: c۞g
    User profile => My posts

I see my posts.
    They all reside in "Forum"
    The forum name (group) is not displayed
    The forum topic (discussion) is not displayed.
    The link to "my post/reply" (permalink) is no longer displayed.

I notice that the curious bug is only seen on the first page of listings under c۞g's "My posts" tab; the next few pages of his listings seem OK. I don't currently encounter that defect on the equivalent page of mine or other users.

Data that is stored in the cloud may become lost in the fog.

15. User picture
    • alphacentauri on Wed 07 Jun 2017
    • 03:01:48 AM UTC

One improvement is my browser now populates the username/password to log in again. That had been broken a long time.

Yes, WOT has a wiki. Check there first for fast answers to many questions like "Why is my site rated red, and how do I fix that?"

16. User picture
    • redblade7 on Sun 11 Jun 2017
    • 08:46:16 PM UTC

STILL with the infinite amount of nonsense scorecards per (sub)domain bug though. The developers still refuse to provide information on why this critical bug has been in existence for years and not fixed. My only guess is that it aided in tracking as was exposed in the scandal.

"While corporations dominate society and write the laws, each advance in technology is an opening for them to further restrict its users." -Richard M. Stallman

17. User picture
    • Site-rater on Sun 11 Jun 2017
    • 11:59:26 PM UTC

Originally posted by: redblade7
    STILL with the infinite amount of nonsense scorecards per (sub)domain bug though. The developers still refuse to provide information on why this critical bug has been in existence for years and not fixed. My only guess is that it aided in tracking as was exposed in the scandal.

However, the add-on looks up the scorecard correctly.
    Perhaps the add-on should download a list regularly of domains that have subdirectories as subdomains so it only sends that information when absolutely necessary?
    Of course the add-on is no longer updated on GitHub so one can no longer post a "Pull Request" to propose such a patch.

18. User picture
    • redblade7 on Tue 13 Jun 2017
    • 02:28:15 AM UTC

However, the add-on looks up the scorecard correctly.
    Perhaps the add-on should download a list regularly of domains that have subdirectories as subdomains so it only sends that information when absolutely necessary?

Or maybe something stupid like cutting off everything from a string after and including single forward slash?

19. User picture
    • Site-rater on Tue 13 Jun 2017
    • 05:04:27 AM UTC

Originally posted by: redblade7
    Or maybe something stupid like cutting off everything from a string after and including single forward slash?

While most scorecards are at the DNS name granularity, some provider's such as Twitter are rated at a user account granularity, encoding it as a punycode subdomain.
    By having a downloadable list it would tell the add-on the maximum amount of data to send in the query.

20. User picture
    • Chas4 on Sat 08 Jul 2017
    • 08:00:51 PM UTC

I have seen that the Wiki has not been updated since around version 2.0 of the extension came out, and what about WOT for Safari?

I also can't find any change log info for the browser extensions since version 2.0.

--- Why Open the Web? Despite the connecting purpose of the Web, it is not entirely open to all of its users. When used correctly, HTML documents can be displayed across platforms and devices.

21. User picture
    • Site-rater on Sun 09 Jul 2017
    • 03:27:36 PM UTC

It appears as WOT is testing a new header for the forums area.
    To users: If the site is completely messed up, try pressing CTRL+F5 or clearing the browser cache.

22. User picture
    • Leopold the Cat on Mon 10 Jul 2017
    • 04:12:54 PM UTC

WOT is testing a new header.

Note: if login via this header it will become impossible to synchronize new add-on with your account.

23. User picture
    • shazza on Mon 10 Jul 2017
    • 06:37:02 PM UTC

I didn't see a notification of the reintroduction of https://www.mywot.com/trustseal . What is the reason for this backward step? Wot tried this before and it was neither successful nor popular amongst members.
    Currently it seems only owners claiming sites are aware of it.

Why does it say 'buy subscription' ?

Wot states WOT Trust Seal helps to improve your business"
    Where is the evidence to support this claim?

You also state the 'seal' shows new visitors that your site can be trusted"
    Will you be checking sites with 'seals' daily to ensure they haven't been hacked or infected and are still safe?
    How will you deal with illegal sites eg streaming pirated movies or distributing pirated software with good ratings who request this 'seal'? .

I'm wondering if this 'seal' is the reason for the huge increase in manipulation attempts recently.

24. User picture
    • here99 on Sat 12 Aug 2017
    • 09:57:56 AM UTC

Originally posted by: shazza
    I didn't see a notification of the reintroduction of https://www.mywot.com/trustseal . What is the reason for this backward step? Wot tried this before and it was neither successful nor popular amongst members.
    Currently it seems only owners claiming sites are aware of it.

Why does it say 'buy subscription' ?

Wot states WOT Trust Seal helps to improve your business"
    Where is the evidence to support this claim?

You also state the 'seal' shows new visitors that your site can be trusted"
    Will you be checking sites with 'seals' daily to ensure they haven't been hacked or infected and are still safe?
    How will you deal with illegal sites eg streaming pirated movies or distributing pirated software with good ratings who request this 'seal'? .

I'm wondering if this 'seal' is the reason for the huge increase in manipulation attempts recently.

Obviously with revenue down from the collection of user data disaster, this has been silently reintroduced to fill the large gap in revenue that has resulted from it.