(The quickest way to register)

Check out our new Mobile App

Forum

1. User picture
    • sylviohaas@uol.co... on Fri 22 Sep 2017
    • 05:22:59 PM UTC

AVG considers the WOT add-on as a malware and recommends removal

After finishing scanning my computer AVG stated that it considers the WOT add-on as a malware and strongly recommends removal. I did ignore it but am a little worried. Can you cure my head ache?
    Thank you.

Comments:

1. User picture
    • NotBuyingIt on Fri 22 Sep 2017
    • 05:42:10 PM UTC

RE: AVG considers the WOT add-on as a malware and recommends rem

I suggest you
    1.) Temporarily uninstall/remove the WOT add-on
    2.) Update your web browser to its newest released version
    3.) Run you virus scan and fix any issues as needed
    4.) Use your web browser's site to install WOT (Very obviously, your web browser's add-on site shouldn't offer add-ons known to contain malware.)
    5.) Run another virus scan.
    6.) If the WOT add-on is detected, contact AVG support for specific details and post those details in this thread.

Note that the current WOT add-on for Firefox will become incompatible with new Firefox releases sometime in November.

Data that is stored in the cloud may become lost in the fog.

2. User picture
    • sylviohaas@uol.co... on Fri 22 Sep 2017
    • 09:37:44 PM UTC

Originally posted by: NotBuyingIt
    I suggest you
    1.) Temporarily uninstall/remove the WOT add-on
    2.) Update your web browser to its newest released version
    3.) Run you virus scan and fix any issues as needed
    4.) Use your web browser's site to install WOT (Very obviously, your web browser's add-on site shouldn't offer add-ons known to contain malware.)
    5.) Run another virus scan.
    6.) If the WOT add-on is detected, contact AVG support for specific details and post those details in this thread.

Note that the current WOT add-on for Firefox will become incompatible with new Firefox releases sometime in November.

1. Are we really going to be without WOT's protection from November on? We had that awful experience not so long ago!
    2. I followed your recommended steps but AVG is still stating that WOT has to be removed.
    I sent them a request to explain WHAT the problem is, as you requested, but I do not believe that they will respond soon or even if they are going to respond at all!
    Thank you.

3. User picture
    • NotBuyingIt on Sat 23 Sep 2017
    • 12:06:06 AM UTC

(Very obviously, your web browser's add-on site shouldn't offer add-ons known to contain malware.)

Originally posted by: sylviohaas@uol.com.br
    2. I followed your recommended steps but AVG is still stating that WOT has to be removed.
    I sent them a request to explain WHAT the problem is, as you requested, but I do not believe that they will respond soon or even if they are going to respond at all!
    Thanks.

Originally posted by: sylviohaas@uol.com.br
    1. Are we really going to be without WOT's protection from November on? We had that awful experience not so long ago!
    Firefox subscribers will need to install an upgraded WOT add-on (not yet available) for forthcoming versions of Firefox, probably during November. That is the topic of several other forum threads, should you care to join the discussion in any of them. (However, please do not start an additional discussion about that topic in this support thread.). See
    https://www.mywot.com/forum/68378-firefox-electrol...
    See also
    https://www.mywot.com/forum/66816-firefox-e10s#com...
    https://www.mywot.com/forum/77290-firefox-multipro...
    (Keywords: WebExtensions multiprocess Electrolysis e10)

Data that is stored in the cloud may become lost in the fog.