(The quickest way to register)

Check out our new Mobile App

Forum

1. User picture
    • Anonymous on Fri 04 Feb 2011
    • 12:22:54 PM UTC

LovelyFaces.com Copied 250,000 Facebook Profiles Without Permission

How does an unknown dating site—with the absurd intention of destroying Facebook—launch with 250,000 member profiles on its first day? Simple: It copies data directly from Facebook.

http://gizmodo.com/5751340/dating-site-copied-2500...

LovelyFaces.com

Comments:

1. User picture
    • leofelix (not verified) on Fri 04 Feb 2011
    • 02:17:57 PM UTC

RE: LovelyFaces.com Copied 250,000 Facebook Profiles Without Per

rated
    thanks

2. User picture
    • Keavs on Fri 04 Feb 2011
    • 05:08:54 PM UTC

Is it gone, I get like a parked domain ad site.......

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it spoken and rumored. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found in religion, or tradition Only after observation and analysis, can one decide the truth. ~Buddha (paraphrase)

3. User picture
    • phantazm on Fri 04 Feb 2011
    • 08:31:14 PM UTC

"The duo behind the site say it's art, not commerce..."

Location: Copenhagen, Denmark, Scandinavia, Europe. Languages: Danish, English (and a bit Norwegian and Swedish).

4. LOL!

First you have to have a Facebook account to access FB user profiles right?
    wrong.

So who's really at fault?
    LovelyFaces.com for copying the images from accounts?
    or
    Facebook.com for not securing and protecting user information: text, images, and other forms of data.

I decline to "shoot the messenger."

∞ Opto, ergo sum _https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_You_and_I

• User picture
      • Sogtul on Sat 05 Feb 2011
      • 12:34:03 PM UTC

Another option for who's really at fault; the users.
      From what I recall, the profiles used were public profiles. Sure, they probably did not expect to have their data used in this manner, but I think they also bear part of the responsibility.
      I use Facebook, but I adjust my settings and decide what I share and with whom I share it.

• the profiles used were public profiles

I would expect FB "public profiles" to be public solely within the Facebook Community; requiring an FB account for access.
        "private" FB profiles should be restricted to all FB users unless they are explicitly added to a "white list" and then only between those 2 parties; NOT shared with white-listed party B's "friends and family." including restrictions to text / links / images "shared."

I wonder how FB would react if people claimed that their friends / family were personal testimonials and how the FCC defines "testimonials" placed on websites. After all when you "like" someone on FB, you are advertising them to others you "know"... ;-)

∞ Opto, ergo sum _https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_You_and_I

5. User picture
    • Sogtul on Sat 05 Feb 2011
    • 11:37:06 PM UTC

From what I recall, public meant that they were accessible from other sources, such as Google. It's been a while since I created my account, but I do recall that the information was not only for Facebook. Users could decide exactly what to share with others.