I usually find .gov domains to be very trustworthy and scientifically accurate, sometimes to the point of tedium, but this is just badly worded non-science.
Drugs that can cause neurological problems:
None, the wording sucks.
Drugs that kill braincells:
ayahuasca - No supporting evidence
cocaine - Dose dependent
DMT - No supporting evidence
DXM - No supporting evidence
GHB - Dose dependent
heroin - Dose dependent
inhalants - Yes
ketamine - Dose dependent
khat - Dose dependent
kratom - No supporting evidence
LSD - No supporting evidence
marijuana - Weak supporting evidence
MDMA - Weak supporting evidence
mescaline (peyote) - No supporting evidence
methamphetamine - Dose dependent
PCP - Dose dependent
prescription opioids - Dose dependent
prescription sedatives - Category too broad
prescription stimulants - Category too broad
psilocybin - No supporting evidence
Rohypnol® - Dose dependent
salvia - No supporting evidence
steroids - Category too broad
synthetic cannabinoids - Category too broad
synthetic cathinones - Category too broad
tobacco/nicotine - Weak supporting evidence
Oh, and they entirely missed alcohol, anti-psychotics and SSRIs. How convenient.
It's a government site trying to keep drugs illegal, however it doesn't blatantly lie (mostly!!!).
What I'm trying to say is that don't use this site as a source of information without confirming it with an unbiased third party.
It generally is a good site- but make no mistake about it. The site is an advocacy site.
One section that they blew is the steroid section. It repeats every myth, legend and lie ever told about them as facts.
Propaganda; information distributed by the Federal Government, but is not academically accepted. The Federal government ranks Cannabis as a level 1 Narcotic; citing it has no medical value, when in fact the U.S. has a Federal Level Medicinal Marijuana Program with psychoactive cannabis grown & distributed by the government to select patients.
This article also makes the mistake of associating correlation = causation; a poor thought process.
It's all a farse.
A very credible source of information. Yes, some "facts" are a bit skewed, but remember that this is a *.gov site and until you can rid of government corruption, you can never avoid government misinformation.
As for any potheads (no offense) speaking ill about this website, remember that what is stated about marijuana is still disputed and NOT PROVEN EITHER WAY. Therefore, that is an irrelevant point.
Here are the FACTS about the common disputes about marijuana:
- Marijuana causing brain cell death is INCONCLUSIVE.
- Overdose due to marijuana IS POSSIBLE, however implausible.
- Marijuana CAN CAUSE PERMANENT DAMAGE.
- Marijuana has NO KNOWN MEDICINAL USES.
- Marijuana CAN relax the human body.
- Marijuana is NOT PROVEN to be safe to the human body.
- Marijuana is a DRUG, not just a plant/weed.
- Marijuana is a GATEWAY DRUG, but not due to exposure to marijuana, but due to the fact that marijuana is just as illegal as cocaine and morphine, thus sold right next to them. It's inevitable. Marijuana is an indirect and unintentional cause of other drug use, but it DOES NOT cause people to take harder drugs.
- Marijuana is ADDICTIVE psychologically, but RARELY ADDICTIVE PHYSICALLY.
- Marijuana CAN cause brain damage.
- Marijuana CAN cause health problems.
Look into things before you rant about them. This is WOT (Web of Trust), not WOO (Web of Opinions).