Check out our new Mobile App

Форум

1. Изображение пользователя
    • williKi on Чтв 18 Фев 2016
    • 19:10:52

Defending Freedom of Speech

As some (or all) of you probably know, the leadership of Enigma Software has announced it's intention to sue Bleeping Computer over a negative revue of the software "SpyHunter".

hxxps://blog.malwarebytes.org/news/2016/02/bleepingcomputer-defends-freedom-of-speech/

The link to the revue is available on the page listed above. I personally have never felt the need to use the software that was mentioned, but I do remember reviewing that thread awhile back (posted September 2014) and took note of the review. I will say that my experience has been that when one of the mods gives a review like that, they are usually right on.

I have to wonder if the folks at Bleeping Computer know about the WOT reviews on vendor's scorecard:

hxxps://www.mywot.com/scorecard/enigmasoftware.com

Комментарии:

1. Изображение пользователя
    • A440 on Чтв 18 Фев 2016
    • 20:07:35

RE: Defending Freedom of Speech

The spyhunter guys have a spotty and suspect record. If they simply want to throw lawyers at someone, they can but I don't think they will do well.

2. Изображение пользователя
    • YUMENEKO on Чтв 18 Фев 2016
    • 20:16:53

To be honest, I dont know why Enigma Software is sueing them. Bleeping Computer gave an honest review about their 'Spyhunter'. It isnt their fault that their software is pretty bad. I hope Bleeping Computer wins. Enigma Software needs to learn a lesson.

- NotAVirus.WOT.YUME

3. Изображение пользователя
    • Apollo702 on Птн 19 Фев 2016
    • 00:57:53

In court truth is a defense. Based on the limited evidence that I have seen I hope that Enigma loses and the judge grants them Bleeping Computer's costs.

4. Изображение пользователя
    • williKi on Птн 19 Фев 2016
    • 20:51:21

The leadership of Enigma Software:

hxxp://www.linkedin.com/in/alvinestevez/

5. Изображение пользователя
    • Dr-Flay on Чтв 17 Мар 2016
    • 05:54:35

This is a case of "the greedy child getting caught with it's hands in the biscuit tin."
    It will scream and stamp it's feet to avoid answering direct questions.
    I personally rate their style of product as "Ransom-ware" or "Extortion-ware".

I first gave SpyHunter a WOT review in 2013 after testing on a clean Windows (Kasperski Live ISO, Malware bytes then AVG)
    Thankfully I recognised that the severe threats it saw were just normal cookies, which they know they can delete without damaging your system (after you pay).
    That was the end of the era of critically vicious cookies that could execute things, and now the worst they do is damage our privacy.
    If you have a problem with bad cookies, your browser has an option to delete them. and the free CCleaner will also do a nice cookie clean up.

As for the "review" posted in 2014 at Bleeping Computer, no review was posted by the site.
    A Moderator of the forum posted their own personal opinion within a "public forum" thread.
    This equates to suing the local council because you overheard someone in the town park saying true but negative things about you.

From what I can see of the recent years, there seems to be many repeated incidents of "accidental" double charges.
    You may make the banking occasional error, but this often is clearly them chancing what they can get away with.

All that needs to be done is to show any court or Judge a clean PC being scanned by the free SpyHunter.
    That could be a PC previously scanned by at least 3 of the top performing AV, or a fresh Windows with only Windows updates and has been made to visit 1 safe site that uses cookies (eg. run IE once and it will go to microsoft).

In genuine tests it has performed very badly when dealing with real threats, but gives false security by showing lots of deleted "serious problems" (normal cookies).

***Here I will draw some comparisons for context, and food for thought.
    All the top quality AV companies have various real free tools, because they know you will recognise the quality after it does it's job well and buy it.
    All the low quality AV companies and scammers offer a free scanner, that is only there to scare you into buying a product you don't even know will work.
    The exact same tactic is used by fake AV popups.
    As far as I am concerned this practice should be illegal for a registered company. When malware does it we call it extortion but when big old Norton and intel/Mcafee do it people turn a blind eye (they do at least have average AV).
    Do you see Avira, Bitdefender, Kasperski, Eset, F-secure, AVG or Avast use dumb scanners ?
    No, because they all genuinely work well (most of the time) and people will pay for that once they try it. Several even offer the AV scan and fix, via free browser extensions.
    All top quality AV companies have a free emergency boot ISO with todays product pre-installed and ready to boot from CD or USB..
    No top quality AV company needs to do subscription based tech support for home users. It would show their product is not doing its job.

People do not pay to get infected, they are victims on a short time frame, and all companies that hold users hostage before they can prove their product even works should be fined for every false item removed and real problems it cannot.
    There are far too many scam security companies that trade on fear and ignorance.
    These cowboys have been around far too long and it is time for them to mosey on down the road.

Helping to keep the internet a safer place since 1998 Check my profile for info about me and my security and privacy blogs.

6. Изображение пользователя
    • williKi on Чтв 17 Мар 2016
    • 13:37:33

One of the "Technical Support Agents" for Enigma Software. He appears to have moved over from the sales and marketing profession. Before that, training as an actor:

hxxps://www.linkedin.com/in/kalin-mirchev-14a27329?authType=name&authToken=X3zL&trk=prof-sb-browse_map-name

"Looking for new opportunities..".

7. Изображение пользователя
    • williKi on Пнд 21 Мар 2016
    • 13:52:14

Gets better, "Content Writer" from Enigma hxxps://www.linkedin.com/in/maya-yaneva-983926a6?authType=name&authToken=_y0S&trk=prof-sb-browse_map-name, is posting tech articles to this suspicious site: hxxp://sensorstechforum.com/. Absolutely no IT background.

As far as the site, hxxps://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=sensorstechforum.com. Hidden contact. No contact information anywhere on the site. I would not be surprised if this site is actually owned by Enigma Software.

8. Изображение пользователя
    • raul۞b on Втр 22 Мар 2016
    • 07:38:12

The content we put degrade the reputation of company. Though everyone has their own choice, but opinions must be shared wisely. Even without using the software program, many of us has reviewed it.

9. Изображение пользователя
    • williKi on Втр 22 Мар 2016
    • 12:53:21

Originally posted by: raul۞b
    The content we put degrade the reputation of company. Though everyone has their own choice, but opinions must be shared wisely. Even without using the software program, many of us has reviewed it.

That's what I like about defending Freedom of Speech, everyone is free to exercise it. Cheers.

10. Изображение пользователя
    • the_f18hornet on Срд 23 Мар 2016
    • 13:40:32

The only thing is that in many terms of uses, they come with the following paragraph:

Indemnification:
    You agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless us, our affiliates, parents and subsidiaries from and against any and all claims, damages, losses, costs (including reasonable attorneys' fees) or other expenses that arise directly or indirectly out of or from (i) your breach of the TOU; and (ii) your activities in connection with this Site.

Enigma can say that Bleeping Computer violated their Terms of Use (they had to have accepted it in order to use the software). Bleeping Computer should be allowed to make their own review on it. While frowned upon, Enigma still reserves the right to terminate licences because of it, as it is their software. Enigma however, should not be able to prevent Bleeping Computer from speaking. That is a violation of freedom.

#NoFilter

11. Изображение пользователя
    • shazza on Сбт 16 Апр 2016
    • 03:00:38

Members may wish to read this, especially in regard to 'Exhibit F' on page 2.
    http://www.benedelman.org/spyware/threats/enigma-v-bleeping-computer-mtd-declaration.pdf

Also, http://www.benedelman.org/spyware/threats/enigma-v-bleeping-computer-mtd.pdf

12. Изображение пользователя
    • shazza on Птн 22 Апр 2016
    • 02:49:50

One of Enigma's shills has just posted a live link to one of their fake security sites in this thread. The site offers downloads of Spyhunter.
    fastremovevirus.com

13. Изображение пользователя
    • williKi on Птн 22 Апр 2016
    • 13:34:54

Originally posted by: shazza
    One of Enigma's shills has just posted a live link to one of their fake security sites in this thread. The site offers downloads of Spyhunter.
    fastremovevirus.com

Yes, I handled it. Thanks.

14. Изображение пользователя
    • williKi on Птн 22 Апр 2016
    • 14:03:08

Per ICANN, the domain contact is listed as "Michael Erwin", hxxps://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=fastremovevirus.com, out of Adelaide, South Australia. The only guy I could find that meets that criteria is here:

hxxps://www.facebook.com/michael.erwin.351

Address is a bit vague, could be a big lie. Scammers use fake people/addresses all the time.

That Website is a classic. "How to Get Rid of PieSearch Hijacker"? Are you kidding me?

15. Изображение пользователя
    • Danny Swith148 on Пнд 25 Апр 2016
    • 01:10:47

fastremovevirus.com

I just saw what i found on the Internet. Don't put me in the wrong. So are you dare to say that the site you posted above is more secured than what i put? A miss is as good as a mile.

16. Изображение пользователя
    • shazza on Пнд 25 Апр 2016
    • 01:48:18

Originally posted by: Danny Swith148
    Don't put me in the wrong. So are you dare to say that the site you posted above is more secured than what i put?

Which site are you referring to?

You posted a live link to an untrusted site - posting live links is against Wot Guidelines please see https://www.mywot.com/guidelines/forum-guidelin...

17. Изображение пользователя
    • Danny Swith148 on Пнд 25 Апр 2016
    • 03:37:20

Which site are you referring to?

You posted a live link to an untrusted site - posting live links is against Wot Guidelines please see https://www.mywot.com/guidelines/forum-guidelin...

Thanks for reminding me. i saw what's going on here now.

18. Изображение пользователя
    • williKi on Пнд 25 Апр 2016
    • 12:21:08

Thanks for reminding me. i saw what's going on here now.

I saw your post. May I ask why one of your first posts would be off topic to this thread?

19. Изображение пользователя
    • Danny Swith148 on Втр 26 Апр 2016
    • 07:31:41

I don't want to talk to a spammer. Don't reply me again!

20. Изображение пользователя
    • williKi on Втр 26 Апр 2016
    • 11:56:38

I don't want to talk to a spammer. Don't reply me again!

Then may I suggest that you stop posting on this thread? FYI, I will reply where and when I see fit within the guidelines of WOT. Cheers.

21. Изображение пользователя
    • Dr-Flay on Птн 29 Апр 2016
    • 19:22:56

As the owners claim to have sorted their issues, I feel it is time for a new product review.
    I have installed SpyHunter 4 and it is currently scanning.

1st problem was having to reduce the task to low CPU priority, or the PC is not responsive.

Next was the strange warning that DNS settings had changed, and should I allow it.
    If the change is because of SpyHunter itself, then I would say no because I am using OpenDNS with DNSCrypt.
    If the change is because of a real threat then I should be shown what the change is.
    I am confused why it warned me of its own behaviour.

Upon inspection I see t offers an enhanced DNS system, but when I look at what it really gives you, it is just a pre-selection of "trusted" American DNS.
    It does not show which DNS uses which IP so users cannot be sure unless they Whois the one they are currently connected to.
    It does not show if any of them support DNSSEC, DNSCrypt or DNSCurve.
    It does not use the closest/fastest DNS or show the user the country so they can choose.

It has been running for a very long time, but shows each file it is looking at so you can see the progress.
    The first "threat" it found was the shortcut icon for Bing Maps 3D that uses a standard MS domain.
    "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" http://go.microsoft.[dot]com/fwlink/?LinkId=75722

So far it has found 748 "threats" and I can confirm that they are not threats.
    When it has finished scanning I will post a review with pictures of the "threats" and the explanation of what they really are.

A recent review I read gave it a poor rating (less than 50%), but did not explain why it is so poor.
    I hope to remedy that with evidence, and encourage other knowledgeable users to also post evidence based reviews on their own blogs.

***EDIT***
    Test and review now complete
    hXXps://drflay.wordpress.[dot]com/2016/04/30/enigma-software-spyhunter-4-review/

Helping to keep the internet a safer place since 1998 Check my profile for info about me and my security and privacy blogs.

22. Изображение пользователя
    • williKi on Вск 01 Май 2016
    • 18:50:54

Originally posted by: Dr-Flay
    As the owners claim to have sorted their issues, I feel it is time for a new product review.
    I have installed SpyHunter 4 and it is currently scanning.

1st problem was having to reduce the task to low CPU priority, or the PC is not responsive.

Next was the strange warning that DNS settings had changed, and should I allow it.
    If the change is because of SpyHunter itself, then I would say no because I am using OpenDNS with DNSCrypt.
    If the change is because of a real threat then I should be shown what the change is.
    I am confused why it warned me of its own behaviour.

Upon inspection I see t offers an enhanced DNS system, but when I look at what it really gives you, it is just a pre-selection of "trusted" American DNS.
    It does not show which DNS uses which IP so users cannot be sure unless they Whois the one they are currently connected to.
    It does not show if any of them support DNSSEC, DNSCrypt or DNSCurve.
    It does not use the closest/fastest DNS or show the user the country so they can choose.

It has been running for a very long time, but shows each file it is looking at so you can see the progress.
    The first "threat" it found was the shortcut icon for Bing Maps 3D that uses a standard MS domain.
    "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" hxxp://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=75722

So far it has found 748 "threats" and I can confirm that they are not threats.
    When it has finished scanning I will post a review with pictures of the "threats" and the explanation of what they really are.

A recent review I read gave it a poor rating (less than 50%), but did not explain why it is so poor.
    I hope to remedy that with evidence, and encourage other knowledgeable users to also post evidence based reviews on their own blogs.

***EDIT***
    Test and review now complete
    hxxps://drflay.wordpress.com/2016/04/30/enigma-software-spyhunter-4-review/

If I may, I did not intend to mention any software reviews when I started this thread. This is close to the very thing that set Bleeping Computer up for their ongoing headaches. I recommend that further posts be about the attitude and actions of the vendor, where I started. Also, the posting of live links is not allowed. Cheers.

23. Изображение пользователя
    • Dr-Flay on Птн 13 Май 2016
    • 10:50:56

Sorry, link fixed.

I do take you point, and don't mean to derail the thread.
    My post is illustrative of what they should be worried about, eg. a review, not 1 brief opinion.
    I have gone further than the moderator of the bleeping Computer forum, because I see no evidence of a review there.
    Perhaps if Bleeping Computer had a review posted in the thread I would not have felt the need.
    See what I mean ? ;)

24. Изображение пользователя
    • shazza on Чтв 09 Ноя 2017
    • 22:10:56

Congratulations Malwarebytes :-)

This week, a United States District Court judge ruled in Malwarebytes’ favor, dismissing a lawsuit brought against us by Enigma Software Group USA LLC (“Enigma”). Essentially, they sued us because we classified two of their software programs as Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs).

See
    https://blog.malwarebytes.com/malwarebytes-news/2017/11/winning-the-battle-against-pups-on-your-computer-and-in-u-s-district-court/

25. Изображение пользователя
    • williKi on Птн 10 Ноя 2017
    • 18:11:42

RE: Congratulations Malwarebytes :-)

See
    https://blog.malwarebytes.com/malwarebytes-news/2017/11/winning-the-battle-against-pups-on-your-computer-and-in-u-s-district-court/

Awesome!