Check out our new Mobile App

Форум

1. Изображение пользователя
    • A440 on Вск 30 Окт 2016
    • 07:16:27

Jumio.com – A Potentially Very Serious Privacy Issue

I discovered today that when I last used Airbnb, they demanded a photo of my passport.
    It turns out that this part of Airbnb's operation is handled by jumio.com, a third party.
    Looking further I found:

umio may use the Personally-Identifying Information a user submits for any purposes related to Jumio's business, including, but not limited to providing you with Jumio's services and personalizing and improving those services for you.
    Which means this company, unbeknownst to me, has my address, email, and my credit card number and they also have my photograph, passport number and signature.

This is a serious privacy and security issue simply because what if Jumio is hacked?

IMHO, this is a grave problem since they have, on record, what a state-sponsored security agency could get access to, minus a police record.

Airbnb.com and Jumio.com should be rated according due to this security risk.

Комментарии:

1. Изображение пользователя
    • williKi on Вск 30 Окт 2016
    • 07:28:57

RE: Jumio.com – A Potentially Very Serious Privacy Issue

Well, top notch SSL

hxxps://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=jumio.com

2. Изображение пользователя
    • A440 on Вск 30 Окт 2016
    • 07:35:33

Originally posted by: williKi
    Well, top notch SSL
    Knowing, what little I know, I am not comforted by their secure SSL setup.
    This does not prevent other possibilities such as an inside hack amongst other possibilities (The Ashley Madison hack was an inside job too.
    They should not have my information yet they do.
  3. Изображение пользователя
    • Myxt on Пнд 31 Окт 2016
    • 09:09:34

Google> Jumio.com hack -site:Jumio.com
    Google> Jumio.com fail -site:Jumio.com

2016/03/21 _https://techcrunch.com/2016/03/21/identity-verification-startup-jumio-files-for-bankruptcy-will-sell-assets-to-early-backer-eduardo-saverin/

Since you are one of the assets, you may wish to find out what Jumio's PP says will happen to your PII when transferred, and what options it offers to remove your data.

4. Изображение пользователя
    • liquid_dragon on Пнд 31 Окт 2016
    • 20:52:17

Guess I'll never use Airbnb because I'm not giving anyone a photo of my passport. They have no reason to need it.

Working to stop malware, viruses, and Internet fraud one web site at a time.

5. Изображение пользователя
    • williKi on Втр 01 Ноя 2016
    • 12:55:35

Photo of your passport, seriously? What I notice is I either have to log in with Facebook or Gmail details, no thanks.

6. Изображение пользователя
    • Grod1 on Втр 01 Ноя 2016
    • 14:41:25

Similar scenario from a low-tech perspective: I just traveled abroad and the hotel desk asked to copy my passport. I have no idea what they did with the copy or how they securely store it afterward. However, I'll wager that Airbnb and Jumio have better security than the hotel I stayed at. Bottom line, if a state sponsor wants to get my information they're going to, and there's not a whole lot I can do about it :(

WOT's the time?

7. Изображение пользователя
    • A440 on Срд 02 Ноя 2016
    • 05:44:06

Originally posted by: Grod1
    Similar scenario from a low-tech perspective: I just traveled abroad and the hotel desk asked to copy my passport. I have no idea what they did with the copy or how they securely store it afterward.
    True enough. We have no way of knowing what happened to the hard copy of that, however jumio has my passport photo stored digitally, thus my concerns about a hack of my personal information.
  8. Изображение пользователя
    • A440 on Втр 22 Ноя 2016
    • 05:34:46

I requested information about what happens to my information if I were to cancel my account and I have received no reply after several weeks. This is inexcusable.

I just deleted my account with airbnb

9. Изображение пользователя
    • luntrus on Втр 22 Ноя 2016
    • 23:52:51

For the SSL certificate strength, there is a weakness in the GoDaddy DMV certificate:
    Warnings
    Root installed on the server.
    For best practices, remove the self-signed root from the server.

luntrus

Use NoScript and RequestPolicy and a VM and be safer, luntrus

10. Изображение пользователя
    • A440 on Птн 24 Мар 2017
    • 02:57:53

Again, this is illustrates why airbnb should not be trusted until their ID verification is made more safe for the customer, who stands to lose a lot:

airbnbhell.com/airbnb-put-identification-verification-hell/

11. Изображение пользователя
    • shazza on Сбт 15 Апр 2017
    • 01:25:45

Airbnb account hijackers burgle homes

Airbnb is improving the security of its app and website after a BBC investigation found people’s homes had been burgled by scammers using stolen accounts.

The BBC spoke to three people who were robbed after they advertised their properties on the accommodation-booking service.

The scammers hijacked accounts with verified badges and changed some of personal details to pull off the thefts.

Airbnb said it had already been working on the changes – which include sending text warnings if profiles are altered – when the crimes were brought to its attention.

"Unfortunately there have been some incidents where hosts and guests have suffered," said Nate Blecharczyk, co-founder of Airbnb.

"This is not acceptable to us, therefore we’re working around the clock to do everything we can to improve our detection and prevention methods."

Source - hxxp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39589241

12. Изображение пользователя
    • AlfredFalls on Срд 19 Апр 2017
    • 04:51:04

RE: Airbnb account hijackers burgle homes

Originally posted by: shazza

Airbnb is improving the security of its app and website after a BBC investigation found people’s homes had been burgled by scammers using stolen accounts.

The BBC spoke to three people who were robbed after they advertised their properties on the accommodation-booking service.

The scammers hijacked accounts with verified badges and changed some of personal details to pull off the thefts.

Airbnb said it had already been working on the changes – which include sending text warnings if profiles are altered – when the crimes were brought to its attention.

"Unfortunately there have been some incidents where hosts and guests have suffered," said Nate Blecharczyk, co-founder of Airbnb.

"This is not acceptable to us, therefore we’re working around the clock to do everything we can to improve our detection and prevention methods."

Source - hxxp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39589241

It's incredible how things can be used that make our life more comfortable.

13. Изображение пользователя
    • A440 on Пнд 31 Июл 2017
    • 04:29:45

I keep finding examples of how hackable Airbnb is and why I do not trust them due to their unwarranted request for sensitive credit and personal information, just so as to use their services:
    airhostsforum.com/t/third-party-hacked-accout/14540

14. Изображение пользователя
    • A440 on Втр 15 Авг 2017
    • 05:08:03

Airbnb is now spamming me, months after having canceled my account, sending me a form letter that supposedly is a reply to my original inquiry regarding their requirement that I sign off on their discrimination policies.

They are using createsend.com and campaignmonitor.com to send out spam too.