Welcome to WOT Wiki!
We are glad you are here! The WOT Wiki is a cooperative project to record information of use to the WOT community.
- Please read our tasks and guidelines for contributions.
- Getting Started with WOT
- History behind WOT: the when, why, and how...
Frequently Asked Questions
- I need help because I am new to WOT.
- What is a scorecard, what do the different colors and the various sections mean? See also the full list of rating symbols.
- Comment restrictions enabled to reduce forum and scorecard spam.
- How does the activity score work?
- What is rating reliability and how does it affect WOT's trust in me?
- Rating subdomains
- The official FAQ didn't have answers to your questions? Find more answers in the user-contributed Wiki FAQ!
- Why is my site rated red?
- The WOT rings are useful. I can see if a site is rated badly or excellent for external links. Can I add it to my website too?
- Please take a look at the WOT widget that is available to all!
- Trusted Sources are automated ratings with scorecard references.
- WOT user awards (2008 - present)
- Use the add-on rating window for rating websites
- Adjust your Add-on Settings
- Delete your forum account
- Remove the browser add-on
- Synchronize multiple browsers and/or computers to a single WOT account
- Export your ratings and comments
- Forum participation
- Post / reply on the main Forum:
- The Unofficial WOT Android app
- Use reputations in your application through the API.
- Download the source code for the WOT add-on. Read the version history for our Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Opera add-ons.
- WOT browser add-ons are open source, you can read the source code from our Github
- note: does not include Internet Explorer.
- Read more about the ongoing experiment for rating shared hosts.
- Have ideas for future improvements? Share them with the rest of us!
When the add-on undergoes a major redesign, before it is released for public usage, it is placed in a usability testing stage referred to as βeta.
There are two forms of βeta testing:
- closed beta
- a selected group of users are privately requested for testing and submitting bug reports.
- open beta
- the general community is made aware of the modifications being made to the add-on and are encouraged to test and offer feedback.
- Introduced a complete user interface redesign promoting ease of use with more transparency
- learn more: 2013 beta
- WOT Groups Beta
Various tests and experiments which usually do not affect [highly] active users
Customizing the add-on
- Learn to create new search rules for the Firefox add-on or find a user-contributed search rule not included with the add-on.
The mass rating tool
- The mass rating tool, available to Platinum members.
URL shortening services which WOT supports
As of April 8, 2011, WOT supports these URL shortening services.
- Use the scorecard search plug-in or get a scorecard accelerator (for IE 8 and newer)
- Other helpful online tools
- many were taken from this forum discussion: Supportive tools
- if you have new ones, please announce them in the discussion and submit them in the wiki article.
- Business / Corporation certification
- Microsoft Partners Directory
- Pharmaceutical reference
- Intellectual Property Rights
Forum discussion catalog
The preferred language for the forum is English as with articles contributed to this wiki. However, some users have translated official topics into their native language which may be found in this section.
note: translations may not be checked for accuracy.
- Wie frage ich um Bewertung, this article tells you how to ask for rating in German language
- Forum Guidelines, official forum guidelines and rules for Russian forum members
- WOT Forum, this article describes all forum features such as HTML tags and post / edit operations
- FAQ (Russian), frequently asked questions regarding WOT rating system, clearly explaining things inside WOT to avoid being misinformed by rumor creators, and many more useful materials are available here
- How to remove the add-on and synchronization (Russian), here you can find how to remove WOT addon and all its data from your browser
- Hashtags, you can use #hashtags as a good addition to your comments, before using hashtags please refer to this article
- WOT for mobile, list of very useful security programs that use WOT reputation data such as Dolphin Companion and Tap&Trust browser for mobile platforms (this list is NOT limited to Android systems)
- Official WOT security app for Android, instruction manual for official WOT Android security app in Russian language
- Tips for site owners, if you are the site owner, please refer to this material to read what mistakes you should aviod to save your site's reputation from bad ratings
- Tap&Trust browser, security browser to effectively keep your Android device safe of malware and free of malicious ads, provides WOT icons for search results and after address field just like it would be a classic desktop browser with WOT addon installed
On February 18, 2014 WOT introduced the ability to incorporate #hashtags in scorecard comments as well as adding a search function for like-tags.
Understanding Internet threats
- Beware of adware, ads, backdoors, blended threats, botnets, browser exploits, fraud, identity theft, keyloggers, malware, phishing, pop-ups, ransomware, riskware, rootkits, spam and junk mail, spyware, trojan horses, viruses, worms, clickjacking, framekillers, macros, and DoS Attacks. Can you think of other threats?
- Learn about what other precautions you can take to enjoy safe surfing on the web!
How to improve your site's reputation
- Before requesting for your site to be reviewed in the forum, you should have a look at how to ask for ratings.
- Know common threats that you can find at The WASC Threat Classification which can attack your website and learn how to fix these possible exploits.
- The WASC Threat Classification is a cooperative effort to clarify and organize the threats to the security of a web site. The members of the Web Application Security Consortium have created this project to develop and promote industry standard terminology for describing these issues. Application developers, security professionals, software vendors, and compliance auditors will have the ability to access a consistent language and definitions for web security related issues.
- Read more tips at WOT Trust Seal's Trust tips.
Note to site owners: Watch out for fake WOT emails!
We have heard reports of some site owners receiving emails promising a good reputation in exchange for money after posting a review request on the WOT forum. These emails are a scam, and have not been sent by WOT.
The motivation is either to scam unsuspecting site owners, or to tarnish WOT’s reputation; aka: Joe job.