Web of Trust
(Last updated December 19, 2016)
- Information We Collect
- How We Use the Data
- Sharing Collected Data with Third Parties
- Do Not Track Disclosure
- Your Responsibility for User-Generated Content
- Data Storage and Security
- Data Retention
- Opt Out Rights
- Rights to Have Data Deleted
- Other Rights
- Third-Party Links
- Updates & Revisions
- Any Questions/Suggestions
Information We Collect
We may collect from and about you both Personal Information and Non-Personal Information, as follows:
1. Information You Provide Directly – We may collect information directly from you, including information that identifies or can readily be used to identify an individual (referred to herein as “Personal Information”). This information that we collect directly from you includes:
- Customer Support Information – You may voluntarily provide us with information when you contact us for customer support, such as your name and email address. We will use any Personal Information received for customer support purposes to communicate with and support you, and we will not share it with any third parties, except as reasonably necessary to provide customer support.
- User-Generated Content – Content provided by you and other users of the WOT Services, for purposes of sharing with other members of the WOT community, through our forums or otherwise, is referred to as “User-Generated Content” and may include Personal Information, such as your name, if you include such information with your User-Generated Content.
2. Information from Third Parties – We may also receive Registration Information about you if you register through a social network (e.g. Google+, LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, and others). This Registration Information may include any information (such as profile picture, public and basic information, status and photos) as provided by you to the applicable social network operator, and which such social network operator permits to be shared with third parties. The data we receive from your social network operator depends on your privacy settings with the social network operator, and we will not post information about you on third party social media sites without your consent. You should review and, if necessary, adjust your privacy settings on third-party websites and services before linking or connecting them to the WOT Products or WOT Service.
3. Automatically Collected Information – When you install and use the WOT app or WOT extension, we also automatically collect information from you related to your use of the WOT Services and your web browsing activity. This information may include, without limitation, the following:
- From WOT desktop/mobile extension and desktop app - Internet Protocol Address; device type; operating system and browser; web pages visited and time stamp of the visit; automatically-generated GUID and WOT user ID.
- From WOT mobile app – Internet Protocol Address; device information (device model name, encrypted device ID, OS version, whether device is rooted, screen size); information about installed apps (name, id, type, install date, update date, version, time used, whether on home page); automatically-generated GUID; and browsing information (browser, web pages visited and time stamp of the visit).
In addition, if you register and use our website to rate and/or provide comments on a website, your Internet Protocol Address is automatically collected. Some of this automatically collected information may be considered “Non-Personal Information,” which is anonymous, aggregated or de-identified information that is not collected together, or otherwise associated by us, with any Registration Information or other Personal Information, if any, that we hold about you. When we automatically collect information, we go to great lengths to make sure that Non-Personal Information remains anonymous, as further described below.
How We Use the Data
WOT uses the information collected from or about our users for analytical, operational and business purposes in the following ways:
- to provide and operate the WOT Services for our community of users, including the display of safety and reputation data about websites you visit;
- to further develop and improve the functionality and features of the WOT Services;
- to analyze how you interact with the WOT Services, including to monitor and analyze usage and activity trends, and for other research, analytical, and statistical purposes;
- with respect to Registration Information and Customer Support Information, to provide our users access to our user forums, customer and technical support, to respond to user inquiries, and to notify our users of WOT updates and promotions;
- to enforce the Terms of Service, to prevent misuse of the WOT Services and unlawful activities by WOT users, and to take any necessary action in the event of a dispute regarding use of the WOT Services; and
- to comply with any applicable laws, regulations, or requests from government agencies or legal authorities.
WOT goes to great lengths, and invests substantial resources, to avoid disclosing Personal Information. This includes the use of various state-of-the art anonymization, data cleaning and aggregation techniques to identify and remove Personal Information from information we collect with the goal of storing only Non-Personal Information.
Sharing Collected Data with Third Parties:
Personal Information. We do not share your Personal Information or Non-Personal Information with third parties, except as follows:
- User-Generated Content: We share User-Generated Content provided by you with other WOT users through the WOT forums, for the purposes for which you provided it.
- Legal Requirement: Solely to the extent required to comply with applicable law, regulation, or the request of a governmental agency or authority.
- Protect Rights and Defense of Legal Claims: To the extent reasonably necessary to exercise our rights, to defend against legal claims or actions against us, or protect the safety, rights, or property of WOT or any third party.
- Research & Analytics: Your Non-Personal Information may be included as part of data products that we license to certain businesses for research, analytics and related purposes. This is done in order to support our operations and enable us to provide the WOT Solutions free of charge. Such data products will only include Non-Personal Information, and will not be licensed or shared with any third parties for the purposes of direct marketing or for any purpose involving the tracking, identifying or targeting of individual users. NOTE: WOT users may opt-out of the sharing of data collected from their use of our apps or extensions at any time by opening the WOT app or extension, going to the menu and changing the “Real-time Protection” option to “Off”. Once you have done so, your Non-Personal Information collected through your use of the app or extension will no longer be included in any of the data products we license. For more information, see the Opt-out Rights below.
We use the information we receive from third parties such as Google Analytics to improve the WOT Services. We do not combine the information collected through the use of Google Analytics with any Personal Information that we collect from you. You may remove Cookies by following the instructions on your device for setting your preferences. Our Cookies do not enable any access to or inspection of other information on your computer. If you wish to be notified of when they are placed, you may set your web browser to provide such notices.
Do Not Track Disclosure
The WOT Services do not respond to Do Not Track signals. For more information about Do Not Track signals, please see http://www.allaboutdnt.com/.
Your Responsibility for User-Generated Content
Any User-Generated Content provided by you, including any of your Personal Information or third-party Personal Information contained therein (including comments, recommendations, images, or other content), may be subject to data protection, intellectual property and other laws and regulation, and you are fully and solely responsible for compliance with such laws and regulations with respect to such User-Generated Content. When including your Personal Information or Personal Information of others in any User-Generated Content provided by you, we require that you exercise due care and assume full responsibility for the disclosure and use of such information and for protecting the rights of such third parties. You acknowledge and agree that we may monitor the User-Generated Content and may remove any parts thereof at our sole discretion.
Data Storage and Security
All of the data we collect from or about you is stored on servers in the United States. While there are inherent risks involved in all data transmissions over the Internet or wireless networks, and other security risks that apply to stored data, and we therefore cannot guarantee the security of your information, we use our best efforts, using industry-standard encryption and security technologies and methods, to collect and store information collected from you in a secure and safe manner.
Opt Out Rights
We may send periodic promotional and informational emails to you, about the WOT Services and other products, services or information we think may interest you. You may opt out of such communications by following the opt-out instructions contained in the email or emailing us at email@example.com. Please note that it may take up to ten (10) business days for us to process opt-out requests. If you opt out of receiving promotional and informational emails from us, we may still send you emails about your account or any WOT Services you have requested or received from us.
Rights to Have Data Deleted
Pursuant to applicable laws, you have the right, at any time, to request to have the Personal Information collected from you located and deleted from our servers. To exercise that right, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. In the event you make such a request, note that we may require certain information from you in order to verify your identity and locate your data.
Data privacy and related laws in your jurisdiction may provide you with different or additional rights related to the data we collect from you, which may also apply.
Updates & Revisions
We welcome and value your input. If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to contact us at: email@example.com