A very, very useful site and ad-on ... This add-on (and site) changed completely my "style" of accessing the sites.
A simple example : when I'm searching on Google I'm much more careful ...
I put WOT on Chrome, Comodo Dragon and Firefox ... And I put also on others computers or recommended this add-on.
I had to remove my last comment, because I couldnt comment the answer of this (an error happend always).
MyWOT is useless because it is easy to manipulate (just look in google how often this happens...). For example by anger ratings or because of people that even havent enough knowledge to rate it (for example security).
MyWOT gets dangerous too, because there are some people that trust to much in this user ratings. If for example somebody does an anger rate or a competitor rates down other sites, some people start to fear this sites without any real reason.
Then there are many ratings that were made out of sympathy and not because of real facts. For example it is widely proven that Facebook has one of the worst privacy of all sites out there, but here it still has good ratings?
All in all myWOT is just useless.
To the answer of my comment, that was removed too, because it was the only possibility way to be able to answer:
1. I have read what myWOT is saying about the above facts, but I still disagree. This is pretty worthless because it comes from myWOT itself, it is like EA would say that their Origin has good privacy, oh they did...
2. The possibility to manipulate something doesnt mean that I have to do it. It is a ethical question. I am wondering that you think everyone that is able to do something have to do something. I hope that myWOT wasnt programmed with this idea in mind, too. But if it was programmed with this idea in mind, it is more dangerous than I thought...
3. You said I shall post in a forum if I am unhappy with a rating, but why should I do it if ratings are save from manipulation? This is only necessary if ratings arent possible to manipulate...
If you want to be serious you should say that this are opinions of some less users, that can be wrong, so that you shouldnt trust them always. If you really say that myWOT doesnt fail, you try to take your users as fools.
Edit: This was the recent rating, that made me finally to create an account. By the way was the reason for this rating an angry user that have threaten the admin (I am not the admin), because the admin have forbidden him to use a signature with 100 animated gifs. I found out about this wrong rating (and some others) only because of a guy that is using myWOT for a long time and even this guy starts to mistrust myWOT, not only because of this one wrong rating.
By the way, how can somebody trust a tool that says facebook have a good privacy? It collects tons of data and use it for everything they want. If you ever have read how the people of facebook do talk about privacy you would know that they dont want it at all and this is how they act...
Since you deleted my response with your comment, I can only point you again to our FAQ, which addresses your concerns:
Of course, it sounds like your definition of manipulation is that you don't agree with the reputation. If you have some actual examples of reputations being manipulated, why don't you show us and we'll take a look. Otherwise, it seems that you simply can't accept that other people don't agree with you.
You are talking about this site, right?
всплывающее окно с предупреждающим сообщением о рейтинге сайта просто ЗАДАЛБЛИВАЕТ ...
и его ни как не отключить.(галочка показывать всплывающее окно снята !!!)
возникает навязчивое желание поставить отличный рейтинг только бы не видеть этого предупреждение.
это большой промах в ВАШЕМ рейтинге !.
You can stop the warnings for any website by rating the site good yourself. Or you can simply turn off warnings from the add-on's settings if you would rather not see any.
I wonder one thing: in order to be a "trusted website" and display a trusted seal, you need to pay for it. It is equivalent to buying trust. Not very ethical for me. Moreover, a lot of links on this site are broken and give some 401 and 400 errors.
Another ethical issue is how a website/system supposed to give you trust can be less trusted than other websites? Mywot is ranking 29, facebook is ranked #1. So facebook is more trustworthy than my wot???? Weird!
1. You can't buy a reputation. However, sites that have a good reputation can buy a trust seal to show it to people who don't have the add-on. You can read more from the FAQ:
2. The HTTP codes 401 and 400 are client errors and happen when your browser sends our web servers invalid requests. You may want to check your browser and network settings to find the problem.
3. You appear to be referring to our most visited websites list, which has nothing to do with trust. The list only tells you which sites are popular among our users.
Excellent Site, helps me from stumbling onto wrong websites, now I can surf the net with no fear of running into inappropriate content or spammy/ virusy content.
WOT is a free website reputation, rating and review tool that helps find trustworthy websites and protects against online scams, untrustworthy links, and unreliable web stores. Free add-on for Firefox, IE, Chrome, Opera and Safari browsers.