PayPal provides a great way for you to provide payments to merchants or individuals online without providing your personal financial information to the party receiving the payment. With that being said, there are opportunities for PayPal to protect themselves from financial losses so please read the Terms of Service or User Agreements before using this or any similar online payment service. If you use the service properly, you are very likely to have a good customer experience with PayPal.
1. Misuse of market position
2. unlawful blockade of Wikileaks
3. Acts under US law regardless of being registered as luxembourgian bank
4. illegal data exports oputside the EU
5. handing over customer data (see USA PATRIOT Act) unconstitutionally and unlawful without notification
6. Allows itself being used to set up US embargos, espechally against Cuba, without legislation.
7. Does not answer on support questions from non-customers, asking a question not answered in public FAQ
8. insecure website (I can proof it!)
PayPal can and will hold your payments for no reason. They held my payments and this caused me to lose my account on the site I was making a purchase from because the seller didn't get the payments I made. Fuck PayPal, they'll ruin your finances without a second thought.
While it is true that PayPal almost always sides with the buyer in a dispute, especially for intangible items, so do all credit card merchant accounts. Most people who complain about PayPal's dispute policy have never had a merchant account and don't realize it is common practice. PayPal's fees are also very reasonable in comparison to a merchant account.